[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Help! I need motivation ! Any hints?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my quilt mojo back when I took a couple of classes with some great women at my LQS. Nothing finished yet, but actual work being accomplished.

Comment

I just saw this article http://www.stylelist.com/2011/09/26/...ncid=webmail15

and thought this part was particularly interesting:

You’re Feeling: Uninspired -- You are an artistic person, but suddenly you can’t think of anything to draw or paint or write about. You stare at the blank word document or canvas, you're totally lacking inspiration and don’t know how to get your creative juices flowing again.
      Color Solution: Orange (high-wavelength) -- Orange hues strengthen concentration while also boosting creativity. The bold color actually stimulates your adrenaline, but go for a warmer burnt orange to avoid the distraction that can come with shocking, bright colors. Try painting an accent wall across from your desk to keep you excited without overpowering your office.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

That's really interesting! There may be an orange quilt in my future...

Comment

You know, I had to pick up some craft items at Jo Ann's last week and a gorgeous piece of orange fabric demanded that I bring a yard of it home. :shock:
          Even though I had an idea what I was going to do with it when I bought it, I changed my mind and made a PortaPocket for my purse, and now I see that wonderful bright fabric every time I reach in my purse and it makes me smile! Now I have to go back and get some more for the original project!

http://www.studiokatdesigns.com/portapockets.htm

Comment

port-a-pocket: fab - have been wanting to make something like this - thanks for the link margo

Comment

the porta-pocket looks a great idea, unfortunately all my handbags are different sizes, I guess I will just have to remember to add more pockets to the next one I make
              Here is an idea for you - how about making something not so 'quilty' for a change, or how about planning & making your ideal bag especially for going to quilt shows, with dedicated pockets for money, keys, camera, sandwiches etc, with the shoulder straps being exactly the right length, and in the right place.

Comment

That's what I've been doing Rosemary! I'm in jeans most of the time, so I've made a denim tote bag, and a smaller denim purse. The bright orange PortaPockets should make it easier to switch as the occasion call for more or less room.

http://www.studiokatdesigns.com/portapockets.htm

pattern: http://pursepatterns.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=164

pattern: http://www.studiokatdesigns.com/lollapalooza.htm

This denim tote is made with the right and "other" side of one piece of denim fabric! Cool, huh!

Comment

Margo,
                  You come up with the greatest things! I've saved both the port-a-pocket and the purse pattern sites. Thank you so much for all the links you give us.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                  Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Those are really smart, Margo. And the good thing with making your own bag is you can be stylish, to your own requirements, rather than a fashion victim and not have the facilities you want.

Comment

The fashion police would throw me under the jail!! I live in jeans and tee shirts, and these days it's impossible to find a simple purse that isn't HUGE, covered in pockets and chains and extra bling! Just give me a plain little denim bag, please!! Never mind....I'll do it myself!

Comment

Margo. I love your Lollapalooza bag. I have saved the websites too. It could make up in so many different fabrics and be anything from very casual to very formal. Thank you ofr sharing with us :-)

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Thanks Pam!! I made that one first, thinking it would work for Houston, but it's much larger than I want to carry for an everyday purse. I love it for times when I need more space, but I'm really happy with the smaller sized purse. Of course, if I were to do it again, I would make some changes, but isn't that the way of everything?

Comment

My problem with making bags is that I can't do zippers. I'll make a confession here-I made it through a year of Home Ec without ever doing a zipper or buttonhole ops: . I used a lot of ribbons :wink: and it got me a C grade for the year.

Any of those bags not require a zipper?

Comment

I don't know where you would look on your side of the pond, but it is possible to buy the magnetic catches for handbags over here, so you could do without a zip, or how about using a flap and buckle instead?

Comment

Originally posted by eileenkny
                                My problem with making bags is that I can't do zippers. I'll make a confession here-I made it through a year of Home Ec without ever doing a zipper or buttonhole ops: . I used a lot of ribbons :wink: and it got me a C grade for the year.

Any of those bags not require a zipper?
                                Eileen, the PortaPocket does have a zipper, but the directions are super simple and straight forward. You just sew a 1/4" seam on the long sides! Easy Peasy!
                                But you can always leave that section out!

Neither of the other two bags I made had zippers. The large tote uses magnetic closures, which were easy to add. The smaller purse had directions for a button closure, but I left it off because I actually prefer a purse left open at the top.
                                In hind-sight, I wish I had added magnets!
                                http://www.studiokatdesigns.com/metals.htm

Oh well...if fore-sight were as good as hind-sight, we'd all be a darn sight better off! :lol:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 164 users online. 0 members and 164 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X