Cutting a BIG Square

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting a BIG Square

Hello Guild!
    I've made a t-shirt quilt for a co-worker. For some reason she wants a duvet cover thing for it. I said okay cuz she's paying me actual real money for it. Here's the problem: How do I cut a 91 inch square? I've got wide fabric so it doesn't have to pieced. What I don't have is a big enough table. I'm thinkin' there's gotta be a way to fold it and use my my 12 1/2 in square and 16 1/2 square rulers. I also have a 24 1/2 x 6 1/2 inch ruler. Any advice? I just can't seem to be able to wrap my brain around this one! :roll:
    Thanx in advance!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Sherry, all you have to do is fold the fabric until you have a manageable width to trim. The most important thing is to keep the folds parallel to each other, and make the cuts exactly perpendicular to the folds.
    The center (vertical?) fold is probably the most difficult to manage. If you have someone to help you it will be relatively easy to make that center fold, then the second fold should make it narrow enough to cut. You need to cut this folded fabric 91", but unless you have a cutting mat 91", you will need to fold it (horizontally) in half, so you can just measure 45-1/2" from the (horizontal) fold and make one cut.
    Unfold the fabric, and repeat the process for the other (horizontal?) measurement.

Think of a piece of computer paper that measures 8-1/2" x 11" and you want to cut a 8" square.
    For the first two (vertical) folds, fold the paper twice so that it measures 2.125" x 11".
    Fold it in half (horizontally) and cut 4" from the last fold. You now have a piece of paper that is 8-1/2" x 8".
    Unfold the paper and repeat the process from the opposite direction.
    Your paper will measure 2" x 2.125". Cut 4" from the last fold and you should have a piece of paper that measures 8" x 8".

Comment

Hi Margo! I was hoping you'd weigh in on this. Actually I got it done this morning. Whew! A wrestling match! I guess I was too tired last night to figure it out. :? I ended up laying it out on the livingroom floor...crawling around it, straightening, folding, smoothing, repeat, repeat. Got it done. DH, DS, and the dog were still in bed. That made it a little easier. It's all cut and ready to go. I had the lady at the LQS cut my yardage in two pieces...that helped! Now to stitch it up!
      Thanks!!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 104 users online. 0 members and 104 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
      X