[vb_main_1]

I washed my red and white christmas quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I washed my red and white christmas quilt

Honestly I thought I'd washed all my red fabric, and when I pulled it out of the machine, I have huge blotches of red from 2 of the fabrics. I worked for 3 years on this quilt!!!!! :x :x Is there anything I can do??? A bleach pen is not going to do it for this mess. :cry: :cry:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Oh, how awful! I've never tried it, but some women in a quilt group I attend have used something called Color Catcher -- I think that's the name of it. Apparently did a great job of fixing problems like yours. Also, Alex in one of her classrooms (one of the earlier ones, I think) had a problem like that and got something from her local quilt store, so you might look for that, or check with your local quilt store. Good luck! And please let us know what you try and what happens.

Comment

I would try a load of wash with Synthropol: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/2127-AA.shtml
      (information about Synthropol is on this site, but you may be able to buy it from your local quilt shop)

and a Color Catcher: http://www.shoutitout.com/coupon/06-10-shoutsample/ (for a coupon!)

Please let us know what you try and what works for you.

Comment

I have the color catcher which I did put in with the quilt, but I will see if my Quilt Store has Synthropol when I go to the guild meeting tonight. Thanks.

Comment

I finally found the Synthropol at a local quilt store, came home and washed my quilt in hot water with a color catcher and it came out perfect!!!! Thanks so much for the advice. I was absolutely sick when I saw all the red bleeding into the white!

Comment

Very glad to hear that you fixed the bleeding problem on your quilt. See, no need to prewash after all!

Comment

Yay for you, Laura. I was hoping that you were able to get that red out. It's awful when fabrics bleed in your finished quilt.

Kathy

Comment

Great news! Thanks for letting us know, Laura!

Comment

Originally posted by PDQuilt
                  Very glad to hear that you fixed the bleeding problem on your quilt. See, no need to prewash after all!
                  I'd rather err on the side of caution and prewash anyway. Why take a chance? :shock:

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                  Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I'm with you Eileen. After that experience I'm washing everything first!

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I have almost finished a Teddy Bear House Quilt for my brand new grandson Panic set in when I realised it has lots of red in it and wondered how I would wash it without the red ruining the Quilt so am very grateful for all the information found here.
                      Thank you.

Comment

I made a red and white quilt, pre-washed fabric with Rytane and when I washed the quilt with 3 color catchers they came out pink but the quilt was fine. So always use color catchers.

Comment

"Teddy Bear House Quilt "finished and washed using Colour catchers I am so grateful for the advice on this page. Colour Catchers sit beside my washing machine permanently now!
                          Thank you again

Comment

Good to know it worked. I always use the color catchers (thanks for the coupon Margo!) as I don't pre-wash my fabrics as they become such a mess! I washed my newly finished Round Robin today. IT WAS A RED COLOR CATCHER when the quilt was done. Washed a 2nd time and was a light pink one!

Comment

Lynn, I hope you mean that the color catcher was red/pink, and not the quilt!!! :shock:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 346 users online. 0 members and 346 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X