[vb_main_1]

Help! - I may get stuck! :)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! - I may get stuck! :)

I'm about to receive a piece of dark red taffeta in the mail. I have never used this sort of shiny stuff and expect it to be very slippery. I have been challenged to use some of this fabric and make something (anything) Christmas related with it. Any advice from all the wise quilting owls here?
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Back it with something like a flannel---I'm assuming you can't fuse anything to it---and use it as the main part of a Victorian Christmas stocking ? I'm imaging a rich dark red and how elegant it will look as a "formal" decoration.

Comment

Thanks, Sue! Very good idea. I hope I get a large enough piece to do a little experimenting. I'm sure I'll also have to be careful with the iron. Mine is normally set quite hot, and I don't want to melt the fabric.

Comment

Lorchen, I hope you get enough to experiment with, too. I'd like to see if you CAN bond something to it. There must be some sort of low heat bonding agent out there, that also doesn't require steam. Let us know how it all works out.

Dawn
        In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Ooh I love the sound of dark red taffeta! What about making a small Victorian crazy quilt in monochromatic rich reds in which the taffeta figures prominently, and then pair it with some different red textures like satin, velvets, and cotton, then use some of those fabulous decorative stitches I'm sure you have on your machine and some superior thread metallics or/and some of Ricky's Razzle Dazzle? To top it off you could then make that the background and embroider or applique some words or a Christmas item on top. I love Christmas. Can you tell? :lol:

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

ditto to sewdreamy, if you are short fo rtime r fabric what about a cushion that could be put in a showy part of you lounge area or seating.

Taree NSW - Australia
            My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Of course you can bond taffeta, no reason why you shouldn't if you need it to be even stiffer than it already is. Taffeta is a stiff weave made out of either silk - just listen to its scrupe, or more usually polyester these days. It is no worse to handle than other stiff fabrics and much easier than satins or loose weaves - it depends on the type of weave rather than the fibre. Just be sure to observe the correct heat settings for the fibre and if in doubt make sure you use a pressing cloth.

Rosemary

PS I think there is a passage in 'Cranford' about the ladies going into church late so that everyone could hear their new silk taffeta petticoats scrupe and rustle as they walked - showing off the fact they had silk petticoats without saying so because to talk about them would have been bad manners.

Taree NSW - Australia
              My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

No, Rosemary, I'm not going to make a petticoat and parade it in front of fellow quilters (I won't get enough taffeta sent for that anyway). Mmmmhhh..... I could start a new trend and swish and rustle along the school corridors.

It's interesting you call this 'stiff',Rosemary, because I have the feeling that this soft. The Germans call it 'Taft' and seeing that I have never even heard of it, I got the dictionary out for a translation into English. I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait till this piece of fabric arrives, so that I can feel and examine it.

Before I forget: Rosemary, I owe you a long email. Eva's parents were delighted, and the little one is thriving.

Betty Jo, your idea about Victorian Crazy Patchwork is great. I'll have to see what the timescale is like. Working fulltime does not help.

Comment

'Taffeta - the term comes from the Persian word tafta meaning a glossy twist. Hence is is usually found that taffeta fabrics are made from high twist silk or man-made fibre yarns giving the fabric the characteristic crisp paper-like quality for which taffeta is well known. Ther terms taffatie and taffety were used in Bengal, India where silk fabrics similar to those woven in Persia, were also made and exported to Europe in the 17th century. In medieval Europe the term taffeta was used to describe a series of lightweight silk fabrics. Now the term taffeta usually means a plain weave cloth with a fine, smooth, crisp, lustrous or matt finish. The cloth usually has a fine rib across the width making it possible to emboss a moire effect into it. There are other variations of taffeta which include: antique taffeta, usually stiffer and sometimes having an iridescent effect; faille taffeta with a more pronounced rib across the cloth; paper taffeta, a lightweight cloth with a crisp paperlike handle; tissue taffeta, a transparent very lightweight cloth; and taffeta chameleon or shot silk. Taffetas can be used for dresses, curtains, upholstery and umbrellas.'

Taken from The Illustraded Dictionary of Fabrics by Martin Hardingham

Also I should have written 'scroop' not 'scrupe'.

Also watch out for fraying along the rib of the fabric.

Crazy patchwork would work well with this fabric, especially if you can add lots of other types of fabrics, including velvet. Failing that you could always try making an umbrella :lol:

Glad the parcel arrived safely

Rosemary

Comment

lol lol....... First an underskirt, now an umbrella...... what next?? ..........

Rosemary, you were right. My piece of taffeta (a generous fat quarter) has arrived and it's a fairly stiff fabric with a definite 'scrunch' to it. The colour is stunning, a very dark, almost glowing burgundy that can look black, depending how the light falls on it. I won't be able to seriously 'play' till half-term (end of October) and will report what's happening or seriously scream for help.

Comment

oooh, yum! Sounds fabulous. Have fun playing with it. Look forward to the result!

Comment

Definately sounds like the shot silk to me. Pleating could be fun to take advantage of 'shot' qualities - are you up for smocking? :lol:

Rosemary

Comment

"Smocking"??? What's that???.......... Only joking, Rosemary. I know about it, have read about, know what it looks like, but I have never done it. A little pleating may be a much easier starting point, especially when I'm thinking of the time constraints I have.

Actually, talking about smocking: I guess I should have a go one of these days, seeing that I now have this mega-cute little granddaughter.

Comment

Another way of getting the most out of the shot qualities could be some quilting , but make sure you use a high loft wadding to get the most sculptural effect, rather than a flat one.

If you are serious about trying your hand at smocking, I suggest you go and have a look at http://www.countrybumpkin.com.au they have some seriously cute smocking kits which come ready pleated (well worth while for beginners)

Rosemary

Comment

Hi Lorchan

we're over half way through half-term, how is the taffeta experience going?

Rosemary

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 75 users online. 0 members and 75 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X