[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

how to match repeat designs

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask and ye shall receive! Annis, I just added some photos to the Webshots album showing the tape method. I had never done it this way before, but it worked fine. You just have to be careful not to stitch through the fold of the tape. Try both methods and see what works best for you!!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...78005874AcmbgY

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Margo--You ROCK!!!!!

Comment

Margo, you are an angel. Thank you so much for posting this visual demonstration with tape. I couldn't understand it till I saw it demonstrated in the photos. The first one I did with pins, and it was pretty good, I must admit, but I'm going to try it with the tape on the other side. Thanks again! Pat

Comment

Glad to help, Pat! I had never done it before either, but was pleased with how it worked. However, I still think I like the glue method better.

Comment

Okay, I tried both methods, and here is what worked for me. The nicely pressed fold line is very important. I used a pin to match, say, the tip of a flower to the tip underneath so that they were lined up on top of one another. I tried using glue, but my fingers kept getting in the way, and I found I kept moving the fabric out of line too much. So I did a few matching flowers pinning, and then taped, then did a few more and continued taping. Now, I had a tough time figuring out how to lay the fabric out to sew it and made the mistake of sewing nothing, just a straight line that didn't attach anything. Finally, when I got it figured out, I ended up with the main piece, right side down, on the left side of the needle, the piece I wanted to add on on the right side of the needle, right side up, and the tape all folded to the left of the needle hidden where I could not see it. Instead of marking the line with chalk, I used my edge joining foot just to the edge of the tape fold, moved my needle one notch to the right, and I used a sharp stiletto to feel along the edge of the tape and slowly drag it ahead of the needle so I could see where the edge joining foot needed to follow. It kind of made a pressing line, too, so it was easy to see where to go. At any rate, I have a perfectly matched quilt back, which I am very proud of and would not have been able to do half as well if it hadn't been for all of the wonderful ladies on this forum. Thank you so much! Pat

Comment

Re: basting glue (or water-soluble glue sticks, or Elmer's Washable School Glue): if you want to press your seams open, you can pull the seam allowances open after stitching; the glue doesn't hold *that* tightly. Then just press them flat.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 342 users online. 0 members and 342 guests.

Most users ever online was 345 at 02:08 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X