[vb_main_1]

how to match repeat designs

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to match repeat designs

Has anyone figured out how to do this easily? I have a quilt back with a repeat pattern, and I pieced the quit back by placing a 45" piece of fabric in the middle with a long strip of fabric on each side of that middle piece so that here are two seams on the back and not one down the middle. It is approximately in thirds, but the middle piece is bigger than the two side pieces. Now I am stuck because I don't know how to match the repeat design and allow for the quarter inch seam. It's easy enough to match when you lay the fabric on top of each other, but it has to be right sides together to sew and also allow for the 1/4 inch sewing seam. HELP! I am so frustrated that I didn't just buy a solid fabric. But this one is so pretty with the quilt. I know there is some genius quilt out there who has already figured this out. Alex, Ricky, a tip on this one for the Quilt Show? Thank you. Pat

I think I would get out the glue. Fold one edge of fabric over to the spot you want to match. Match from the front side so you see everything is the way you want it and then put tiny dots of glue(or even a water soluble glue stick). Lightly press it and then take it to your sewing machine. Fold the right sides together and stitch alone the folded line. Open up the glued seam and press as you want. It should match.

Comment

Wow - good tip Ritzy - I never worry about matching and many times use multiple fabrics

Comment

Yep! Ritzy's method works GREAT!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I've done this quite often but use lots of pins instead of glue because I will be pressing the seam open and don't want it glued shut. I press one side first along an area that is easy to match. If there is a lot of background in places that is a good area. Then I match the pieces and pin on top close to the pressed line placing the pins close together. Then I pull the top fabric back and pin the seam vertically and horizontally. Finally I pull out all of those first pins and sew the seam on the pressed line. Use an open toe walking foot so you can see the line and the fabric feeds evenly. Trim seam to desired size and press open. I believe I learned this technique way back in my Home Ec. days.

Comment

Just be sure to trim away the selvages!!

Comment

I Agree with Ritzy's method but try using blue painter's tape down the length of the seam to hold it down. Fold the fabric back and stitch just beside the folded edge of the painter's tape. Pull the tape off, trim the seams to one quarter and press them open. Betty Ann

Comment

Thanks so much, everyone! I am going to try all of the ideas and see which one works for me. Alex, I think it is your beautiful blue and white fabric with flowers that I picked up a couple of years ago, if I'm not mistaken. And I want all of those flowers going across just right so I don't ruin your lovely design. Pat

Comment

I've never heard of this before :shock: Ritzy, is it okay if I share this with my clients?

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                  Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Check out Elizabeth Hartman's tutorial with photos on how to correct a cutting mishap at http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...ng-mishap.html. It addresses matching designs.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Nancy, I think that Elizabeth's technique is fine for small pieces, but for quilt backs I much prefer the technique that Ritzy described. It is foolproof! In fact, I used it today to piece together some scraps so that I could do a "fussy cut" block. It works great!

Comment

Originally posted by eileenkny
                        I've never heard of this before :shock: Ritzy, is it okay if I share this with my clients?
                        Of course! Hope it will be helpful.

Comment

OK, folks! I made a photo tute in a Webshots album to demonstrate this technique. There is text below each photo explaining what I did, (you may need to scroll down to see it) and you can select the "NEXT" photo at the upper tight side of the screen. Hope that helps!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...78005874AcmbgY

Comment

Betty, I am curious where the painter's tape would go if you look at the pictures from Margo. Couldn't figure out where to put it so I wouldn't sew over it and it would hold the seam. Thanks for enlightening this old girl. Pat

Comment

You said easily and I told you to use all of those straight pins! It looks like Ritzy's method is the favorite. I just tried an 18" piece with the blue painter's tape and it worked great for me. I still used some pins in the seam but not near as many and was able to skip the pins on the top when matching. Thanks, Betty Ann, for the tip. I used 1" painter's tape but any width would probably work, and placed it on the front side after matching the design by just rolling the tape down a section at a time so the design wouldn't shift. Then I pinned the seam on the inside before folding the tape over. When sewing the seam be careful to stay in the fold so the tape won't get caught in the stitches. Maybe Margo could do a tutorial for you on that technique too.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 363 users online. 0 members and 363 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X