[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

My poor machine

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

No need to apologize. Just because it has not happened to us does not mean it can't happen. Hope you are able to get the answers you need.

Comment

Did you spray the fabric or the batting? I saw Patsy Thompson spray the fabric in her video and I winced, you should always spray the batting as the fabric absorbs too much of the spray adhesive, which may also explain why your sandwich didn't stick too well and you think you used too little of the stuff. I have used 505 for a couple of years now and never had a problem with the machine gumming up, but I'm not saying it can't happen if you get enough of the stuff into the system :shock:

Comment

Marianne,

Welcome to the forum! The forum is a resource for all of us. Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but as one star member to another I want to say WELCOME to TQS!

Comment

Welcome from me too. No question here is a bad question. You will not always get answers that agree with each other but you know what there a lot of opinions out there and most of our opinions and fifty sense won't get us a bus ride across town. LOL But when a number of people give you the same advice, you may have a good answer. Or sometimes some one has a studied answer that should be one to consider and take into account.

I personally have had really good luck with spray basting on small quilts and have never tried the "wall" method but sure do want to try it with my next larger quilt. I have tried the "dining room" table and the "picnic table" and the lay it on the grass at the RV park method all with relative success so find me a wall (maybe the outside of the Motorhome well covered with newspapers) and I will try this one too. Basting with pins etc. is a pain so anything that will make my life easier is one I will try.

Good luck with your next project and Hugs, Ann

Comment

I've also used the 505 to spray baste many quilts and have never had any problem with the machine getting "gunked up." I do always spray only the batting, though, never the fabric itself, because those instructions are on the can. I was really surprised to see Patsy doing that in her video, but it sure seems to work okay for her!

I don't have a big enough wall, so I do my spray basting on my craft table. I put the batting down, spray the part that's on the table, and then put the backing on. I just keep shifting the positions on the table until it's all smoothed out. Then I turn it over and spray the other side of the batting, and start smoothing the top.

I haven't had a pucker or wrinkle on the back of a quilt since I started using this method, and I've done the quilting with two different machines with no problem.

Comment

Marianne, don't worry about "opening a can of worms." I really appreciate your alerting us to your problem with the spray adhesives. I've been holding off using them since I read something Diane Gaudinsky said about the sprays getting down into a machine. I've found that everyone seems to have different experiences with products. For instance, I had a very bad experience with the Crayola Washable Marker on Moda fabric. So many people on TQS have had good experiences with these markers--go figure????? :lol: Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us--I'm going to hold off on that spray until the jury comes in!!! Judy in Torrance

Comment

Thank you for all the replies and the welcome from everybody.
                As I had not watched the Patsy Thompson additional information when I did the sandwiches for the play day Thursday, I followed the instructions on the can and sprayed the batting. I can see the point of doing this as the needle will be "wiped" on the backing fabric when going through this and before reaching the bobbin race. When reading the comments I thought about the backing fabric. I used a cheap calico (muslin? in the US) as backing. Maybe that was too open a weave (even after washing) to keep the glue in the sandwich. I used a # 100 needle as it said on the cone of quilting thread I used.
                As Judy said some things work under some circumstances and not under others and there are so many unknown factors involved here. I will report back when I have got a new can and another go at this. Until then I will tack or thread baste and practice-practice-practice the FMQ
                Have a lovely Sunday
                Marianne

Comment

I've just worked out that you are in Belgium, Marianne. I spent far too much money ( ) in a lovely shop in Belgium, on my way from the UK to Germany - quilting fabrics upstairs, florist downstairs. I walked out with a very happy grin on my face.

Lorchen
                  From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
                    I've just worked out that you are in Belgium, Marianne. I spent far too much money ( ) in a lovely shop in Belgium, on my way from the UK to Germany - quilting fabrics upstairs, florist downstairs. I walked out with a very happy grin on my face.

Lorchen
                    Very glad you had a good time here. It is not difficult to spend too much money in a quilt shop here! I do it frequently :lol:
                    Marianne

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 333 users online. 0 members and 333 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X