[vb_main_1]

My poor machine

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

My poor machine

This is my first post in the forums so please excuse if this is not the place to ask this kind of question!
    My machine is gunked up. I made a very bad decision yesterday and against my better judgment spray basted some blocks with 505 spray glue for a play day in free motion quilting. I did 2 18" blocks with the fairly open loop Patsy Thompson showed on her video clip recently.
    The needle I can clean but how do you remove the gunk from bobbin area? I cannot take the bobbin area apart on my machine.
    I only used a very light spray so light actually that the layers did not stick together very well because I was scared stiff that was has happened would happen. When I read blogs around cyberworld everybody seem to be using spray basting these days as well as fusible appliqué so how do you clean up after this sticky business?
    TIA
    Marianne

Marianne,
    Asking a question is always a good thing and being stuck sounds about right.

Using spray baste isn't a bad decision. From what you're describing I'm thinking this doesn't have anything to do with the spray as you sprayed quite lightly enough that there shouldn't have been a lot of adhesive on the quilt. I use 505 on nearly every quilt I make and I've never had this happen before. Gunking up the needle yes (usually from too much spray), gunking up the bobbin, no.

What machine do you have that you can't get into the bobbin area and clean it out?

My guess is that the machine probably needs a tune up and a good cleaning as there is probably quite a bit of lint build up in the bobbin area.

Teri
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

I agree with Littleflower. I think it is just a coincidence that this happened after you spray basted. I have quilted dozens of quilts with spray basting and never experienced this issue even once.

Take your machine in and let your service person look at it. I'll bet you find out it is something else.

BethMI

Comment

Thank you, Beth and Littleflower.
        I cleaned the bobbin area before and after and, yes, there was lint like there is when using cotton fabric and cotton batting but it is as if the whole bobbin area is now sticky. I have a Bernina 730 and do a lot of dressmaking as well as some embroidery with it. Unlike my old mechanical Bernina the 730 cannot be taken apart and cleaned to the same degree as the old one can. I use Bernina oil for oiling and never oil the machine when cold but wait till it is warmed through.
        I clean it every time I change the bobbin whether it is empty or not so my machine is very clean - I think? I use a hoover to suck out as much as possible before taking the brush to it. I have not had as sticky a bobbin case and bobbin area since I last tried spray basting which is why I wondered how people cleaned up after quilting like this. Maybe the can of 505 I have is old and more sticky than usual.
        Have a nice week-end and thanks again
        Marianne

Comment

I know this may not be the case, but did you use hand quilting thread in your machine? If so, it is coated with wax and that will definitely gunk up your machine.

Comment

Originally posted by kquilts1
            I know this may not be the case, but did you use hand quilting thread in your machine? If so, it is coated with wax and that will definitely gunk up your machine.
            I used YLI Machine Quilting for part of the quilting and Superior Thread Perfect quilter for the rest so that should be OK?
            Thank you for replying.

Comment

Boy, I can't help you either. I have never had any trouble with 505 and I use it on all of my quilts. Please let us know what you find out.

Comment

I'm sure you saw Patsy Thompson's video posted today on the subject of spray basting.

She agrees with me that spray basting does not cause your machine to get sticky.

Maybe your can of oil is old?

BethMI

Comment

Good point about the oil. I use spray baste and have never had a problem with the bobbin case.

Coast of South Carolina USA
                  Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

Thank you to everybody for all your input.
                    It certainly looks like I have just been unlucky. My oil may be a bit old - it came with my machine when I bought it 4 years ago. When I get an opportunity to go to a dealer I will buy a new can. I will also get a new can of 505 when I go to my LQS this coming week. Maybe they have had an old lot delivered last time. Sadly there is no sell-by date on the 505 can.
                    I will give this one more go before giving up on spray basting once I have found a way of cleaning up the bobbin case.
                    Thank you again for getting in touch
                    Marianne

Comment

Marianne I'm just wondering when was the last time the machine had a tune up?

Teri
                      Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

[quote="littleflower"]Marianne I'm just wondering when was the last time the machine had a tune up?

Teri[/quote

It had its yearly service in December and there was nothing wrong before I did the FMQ Thursday. It still sews fine. I have used a microfiber cloth wound around a match stick in the bobbin area I can get to and clean out as much as I can and then I did some scrap piecing before I oiled and did some more piecing. I just worried about what would happen in the long run if I used the spray for all the quilting I plan to do. With the price of a service where I am and the price of sewing machines these days it is more like having a second car :roll: so I do not want to cause any damaged.
                        Marianne

Comment

Marianne...... I too watched that video about the spray basting and said to myself, no way! I believe this is exactly what gummed up your machine. You will need to take it to the Bernina dealer and get it cleaned. Be sure to get their opinion after cleaning as to what the problem is. Then report back to the forum.

I have a Pfaff and can take my bobbin area completely apart to clean but still would never mess it up with spray baste! Who knows where else that stuff can travel to in some machines.

Barbara

Comment

Barbara -

Your explanation doesn't make sense.

How do you explain all the people who have quilted literally dozens of spray basted quilts without this type of problem?

I'm telling you, there is something else wrong...

BethMI

Comment

I want to apologise for this message thread as it seems I have opened a can of worms here. When I posted my initial question the Patsy Thompson spray basting video had not yet made it to the blog because I am well ahead of US time (GMT +1 here). From the replies here and from everything else I have read as well as the Patsy Thompson video it is obvious that spray basting does not create any undesirable effects and nothing has to be cleaned after using it unless there is a user error involved. As I mentioned in an earlier message this afternoon (my time) I will buy a new can of 505 and give that a go and see if I fare better with that.
                              I am very sorry if I have in any way upset anybody by my postings in the forum.
                              Thank you for taking the time to read and reply.
                              Marianne

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 363 users online. 0 members and 363 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X