[vb_main_1]

White or black batting?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

White or black batting?

I have a quilt top ready to be quilted and I'm trying to decide whether to use black or white batting. The background of the top is black and there are large - 9 inch - snowball blocks of mostly medium colors. The only problem is that in the border there are occasional 3 inch blocks that are white with just a little gold running through them. I'm worried about the white blocks having a shadow if I use the black batting, but I'm worried about bearding coming through the background if I use the white batting.

The quilt will likely be a wall hanging and not be washed frequently - although I'm giving it away so who knows for sure! The size is 70 X 70 inches.

Suggestions, please?
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Cotton, wool, silk, and bamboo don't beard a lot, do they? I just put a black Hobbs 80/20 batt in the quilt I'm quilting right now even though the greys on the top go very light. About 40 % of the top is black or very dark and the back is dark, dark charcoal - almost solid. That's what helped me choose black batt... The back, and I just wanted to do something different...

What are you putting on the back? And are you considering a poly batt?

Comment

If you're using either Hobbs or Quilters Dream or Matilda's Own black battings I really wouldn't worry about bearding (there are others on the market I just don't have experience with them).

Give it a test - lay out the backing, batting and top - use a few safety pins to just hold it together - hang it on your design wall and see what it looks like behind the white squares. Think about the amount of quilting you're planning and decide if the black batting is working.

My guess is that it will be fine. With the way battings are made these days I really wouldn't worry about bearding. If you're getting bearding during the quilting process its most likely the needle not being sharp enough and pulling the batting up through this would be whether hand or machine quilting.

Teri
      Teri

Comment

Originally posted by Sue120
        blocks that are white with just a little gold running through them. I'm worried about the white blocks having a shadow if I use the black batting, but I'm worried about bearding coming through the background if I use the white batting.?
        You might have to place an additional layer of white just behind the white patches (muslin would work) to keep the black batting from showing through.
        Brita
        Teri

Comment

Concerning the use of a black batt behind white fabric. Since you said that there are small areas of white, remember an old painter's trick is to add a small amount of black to white paint, as it can make it look even whiter.
          Teri

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 370 users online. 0 members and 370 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X