[vb_main_1]

THREAD BREAKAGE

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

THREAD BREAKAGE

I've just finished my 13th quilt of valor and when I washed it, a great deal of the quilting had shredded and come out!!! :evil: I've never had this happen before. Some of it was free motion and some with my even feed foot. I changed the needle in the middle of the project because my top thread was breaking...new needle didn't help. I was using Sulky premium heavy 12 wt cotton in a red/white/blue variegated. It is supposed to be for machine or hand use. I was using a bobbin thread in the bobbin (not Bottom Line as I had run out of it - just ordered some more!). Has anyone else had this sort of problem? I am going to take out all of the quilting in the whole quilt and start over...I may even hand quilt it. It will just take longer to get it to some wounded soldier. :cry:

Nancy in NC
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

what size needle were you using in the top?
    from what you're describing it sounds like the thread was shredding all along and the stress of washing was just too much.
    Try a size 100/16 top stitching needle.

Teri
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

I bet you're right...I was using a 90 topstitch as recommended by Bob the Thread Guy, but since the thread was fairly heavy, I should have used a 100. Nevertheless, I am removing the quilting one block at a time and quilting it by hand. Actually I'm enjoying it because I haven't done any hand quilting in a while. Thanks for your response.
      Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 33 users online. 0 members and 33 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
      X