No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

What is the best way to store quilting fabric?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best way to store quilting fabric?

Hi,
    My question is for Alex or Ricky. I would like to know which is the best way to store your quilting fabric. In the open on a shelf subject to dust, or in a plastic bin??
    I really would like to know. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Dorothy[/b]

Alex has demonstrated her system several times -- first on Simply Quilts and now on TQS. She stores hers in a closet, protected from sunlight and separated by color and sometimes type (batik, repro, etc.). She stores it in sliding wire baskets large enough to accommodate a folded FQ but not so large as to require double-stacking the fabric.

I'm sure there is a video on this website somewhere.

BethMI

Comment

Thank You,
      Thanks for sending the information. I appreciate your response. I will attempt to find the video.
      Dorothy

Comment

There are so many different opinions and solutions to storing fabrics, but two things are mentioned again and again, and they do make a lot of sense:

1. Keep your fabrics out of the light so that they don't fade over time (especially when folded and on an open shelf, you may get fading along the exposed fold).

2. Fabrics needs to 'breathe' (So a solid plastic box, completely filled, with a close-fitting lid, and then not opened for a long time is not a good solution.).

Other than that...... whatever floats your boat!

Lorchen
        From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I keep mine in the closet on mini bolts. I love these, they are the ones from http://polarnotions.com/.

From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Those mini bolts look like a fantastic way to store fabric. Those would sure help prevent the fold lines that occur.

Comment

Mini bolts are cute and neat. But not for a SERIOUS fabric stash! Try cardboard boxes w/lids (like from Staples). Pack material inside. From each fabric, cut a strip that can be displayed on the outside - I hang mine out of the "gripper holes". Roughly sorted by color or other category, I can really find things fast. And I did say "serious" fabric stash. Never ask me "what are you going to make with that?" Ricky's hand dyes get a box of their own.

Comment

I've heard you have to be careful with cardboard and fabric. There are off-gasses or something like that. If you do use cardboard, you should line it with muslin.
                eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Yuk - that's just too much work. If my stash gets gassy, I'll just buy more!! 8) 8)

Comment

:lol: :lol:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 84 users online. 0 members and 84 guests.

Most users ever online was 345 at 02:08 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X