[vb_main_1]

Calculating sizes of borders?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calculating sizes of borders?

Has anybody got any links at all that would help me with working out the sizes to cut borders? I can't get my head around adding 1/4" s to all four measurements? Thanks!

Forget adding numbers and 1/4 inches!!

I just make sure I buy enough fabric, and then, I cut generous strips of fabric in the proper width, which is the width I want plus 1/2 inch.

I straighten one end of the border pieces and then lay my border pieces one on top of each other down on the center of the quilt. I carefully line up one end with the edge of the quilt and leave the other end extending over the opposite edge, under which I place a small cutting board. I then use my rotary cutter and ruler to cut the border fabric even with the end of the middle of the quilt. I never even know the numerical value of that number. (I just CANNOT remember numbers!)

I have made some pretty great quilts this way, and if you are careful about laying down the quilt and the border pieces, it is VERY accurate.

I first saw this method on TV being used by a famous quilter whose name I have forgotten, and if it is good enough for her, it's good enough for me!

BethMI

Comment

Great instructions, Beth! Measuring down and across the middle is something I've done for many years, but I just recently read about laying the border fabric down and across the middle and cutting it. I'm going to try that next time--I can't remember numbers, either, and I always have to write the measurements down. This will eliminate the tape measure step! Judy in Torrance

Comment

Thanks both of you - much easier than working out what the measurments should be!!. Jacky :lol:

Comment

The method that Beth describes is my absolute favorite. No numbers to deal with!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I love it here, you learn something new every day. Thanks.

From Dorset, England

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 371 users online. 0 members and 371 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X