[vb_main_1]

Cave Man Curves

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cave Man Curves

I am trying to practice using Ricky's Cave Man technique for piecing curves that is in one of the season 2 shows, and am really unsuccessful at it. Besides being REALLY bad ops: at keeping a consistent seam allowance, I can't press so that the fabric will lay flat. I'm pressing using a spray bottle rather than steam from my iron, like Ricky shows, I even clipped the curves, but it's not working, and I'm getting really frustrated. Any suggestions?

This technique uses seam allowance that is about 1/8th of an inch. If your allowance is too wide you could have problems. Also as the seams get longer, it gets harder to make it all stay flat. If you had enough seam to clip, I would say you are working with too wide a seam. Keep trying. Betty Ann in Stormy Florida

Comment

One of the problems with curves Caveman style are if your curves are too deep. The curves need to be really undulating and not too deep or too curvy (too quick a change in the curve) Also you need to use a very scant quarter inch seam, just enough to hold the fabric together.
      Ricky says "iron the snot out of it" meaning spritz it liberally and then iron like crazy. No gentle pressing here.

I have done many of these quilts and the only time I get into trouble is if I try to get too complicated with my curves.

Keep on experimenting. This is a really fun way to piece. I love it. Ann

Comment

Thanks, to both of you. I'll keep trying to play with it.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 332 users online. 0 members and 332 guests.

Most users ever online was 332 at 02:07 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
        X