[vb_main_1]

Mitred Corners, Kaleidoscope Quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitred Corners, Kaleidoscope Quilt

I am soooo excited to near the finish of my first Kaleidoscope quilt (2nd quilt ever) and I have the DVD/instructions. Problem is I'm hearing impaired. IF Ricky says how to miter the corners of the borders....I didn't 'catch it' because his back was to the camera and I lip-read.....I made every mistake possible with this quilt...but is still going on the wall of my studio because I love the colors. The next one will be much better....Thanks for any help you can give me!
    artistverlie

My suggestion is to send the question to Ricky. He has a great explanation of how to do mitre corners. Unfortunately I don't have that explanation or I would type it out for you. Plus many books give descriptions but so far they have not helped me because I still have problems. Bobbi

Comment

Thanks Bobbi! and I am new here...how would I contact Ricky? Verlie

Comment

Verlie, if you click on the contact tab in purple bar, you can ask your question and someone on staff should be able to respond to your query. good luck, and don't forget to post a picture, it can even go in your personal pics until its completed. Lissette

Comment

Thank you Lissette! I am waiting for a response...I will post a pic in my file now of my progress! I love this group already!!!!

Comment

Your top looks great so far. Keep up the good work and just have fun with this. Marge

Comment

Thank you Marge..it is fun and exciting too. I have been making Kaleidoscopic artwork and Patterns since 1995 in the hopes of making quilts...Even named my former gallery Kaleidoscopic Art Market so I am awed at Ricky's easy method for Kool Kaleidoscopes! Sure hope someone answers me soon so I can start the next one. Have a great day! Verlie

Comment

Verlie, while you are waiting for instructions from the staff, you may find this entry in my Webshots tutorial useful. I'm showing how I mitered one of the border strips in my pieced TQS BOM, but maybe it will help you with your project. Good luck!

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...02889971nzFWjG

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Verlie, My girls are really excited about your Kalidescope(sp?), they can't wait for me to try one...Lissette

Comment

Thank you Margo...I checked it out and understand it but the glue? that scares me...and how, what stitch do you use after the glue? My mind says the only stitch that could put the folds together would be a zigzag... can you see my confusion? wish I could see someone sewing it after the glue....perhaps I am just confusing myself needlessly!

Lissette..I would love to see you make one too...do you have the DVD? Keep me posted, it is really easy and goes together well when it's done correctly ! My next one will be much improved...you go girl!!! Verlie

Comment

In one of the 300 ( I have the DVD) shows Ricky showed how to sew on a boarder with no piecing in the corner... INSET BOARDER... that might be the way go for this quilt. I have only done one small block using this method but I love it.

Anna

Comment

Thank you Anna...I'll have a look!

Comment

Originally posted by artistverlie
                          Thank you Margo...I checked it out and understand it but the glue? that scares me...and how, what stitch do you use after the glue? My mind says the only stitch that could put the folds together would be a zigzag... can you see my confusion? wish I could see someone sewing it after the glue....perhaps I am just confusing myself needlessly!
                          Are you familiar with Sharon Schamber's work? She is a winner of Best of Show in both Paducah and Houston. Her work is amazing and she used Elmer's Washable School Glue in all of her quilts. It washes out, but doesn't have to be removed, according to Sharon. Here is a link to her tutorial about corners.

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/fre...ter/index.html

If that link doesn't take you to the right page, go to her web site here:

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/free_area/index.html

and check out the "Free Area" for Mitered Corners

Comment

Thanks again Margo and I went to the sites...they say I need a new adobe update to view it but I know my adobe HAS been updated. I think I will just finish my quilt to the best of my ability and start the next one. By the time I reach the next border I am sure I will have received a response from Ricky or the staff on this site. It's so nice to know that help is not far away on this site. Have a great day! Verlie

Comment

Verlie, you can fold the border fabric at each corner to form a miter and then use the hand applique stitch along the miter. I learned this in a Sally Collins class. Just use a ruler to check the accuracy of your fold. I don't like to put in a miter with the machine and I'm going to use this method myself. BTW, your quilt is beautiful! Judy in Torrance

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 387 users online. 0 members and 387 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X