[vb_main_1]

Minke fabric question ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minke fabric question ???

Do I need to pre-wash minke fabric before using it in a quilt?

I have not used this type of fabric before, so I am looking for any helpful hints if I am using it for a quilt backing.

Thank you! :!: :!: :!:

Mary Kay

Mary Kay - Minke is 100% polyester. No shrinkage and no color bleeding. No need to wash. Have fun. Carolyn in Kerrville, TX

Comment

I've heard that you need to baste really well. Other than that it's good stuff.

Teri
      Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Thanks, Ladies!!! The LQS recommended a strong spray baste for any embroidery that I would do on it (in addition to stabilizer). Maybe I could use the spray baste to help a bit in the basting with thread that I do....

Comment

MK, I highly recommend a walking foot, or dual feed when sewing with it too. I also loosen the presser foot pressure when I sew with it. I have made three t-shirt quilts using this as the backing. I love using this as backing if it will be a well loved quilt in a cold environment :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by momof2
            MK, I highly recommend a walking foot, or dual feed when sewing with it too. I also loosen the presser foot pressure when I sew with it. I have made three t-shirt quilts using this as the backing. I love using this as backing if it will be a well loved quilt in a cold environment :lol:
            Great recommendations, thank you! Your comment puts another question in my head..... the qult will actually be in a warm climate (Mississippi) but I was thinking since it was a baby quilt that I wanted it to be very soft against the baby's skin, and minkee came to mind. So....... do you think there would be problems with a warm climate and a quilt with cotton on one side and minkee on the other side???

Thanks!!!

Comment

I don't think it will be too warm, it will be super soft! I wouldn't use batting, you could use a thin flannel if you wanted three layers. This is a great fabric for babies! All of the teenagers I have made quilts for go to great lengths to keep them from their friends at school! Evidently my nephews was ransomed for a case of liquid this year :wink:

Comment

hahahaha MK, I bet I can guess where that quilt is going!

Comment

Mary Kay-I'm in South Mississippi and during winter we need warm quilts! North Mississippi really gets cold! Which is one of the reasons I don't live there any more!

Comment

Mary Kay - I'm in central Mississippi and you do need warm quilts in the winter. Even in the summer, in air conditioning a baby needs a warm quilt. Mary

Comment

When my DH gets hold of the thermostat I need a quilt in the summer! :?

Comment

Thanks, Ladies, for your recommendations and weather summaries for Mississippi!!! I am with you on the AC and the hubby - I can use extra blankets during the summer when he gets the ceiling fan going on super strong!

Patti - hehehehe.... now don't share my secret! :wink:

MK

Comment

MaryKay, I backed a baby quilt with minkie, with no batting and loved how soft it was and how it just draped over the baby. It was stretchy though until I got it quilted.

Comment

I'm wondering about minkee as well. My daughter wants me to make a quilt out of minkee using 4 colors of minkee in blocks on the front and backing with minkee. I'm thinking she's crazy as I really fought with making a baby blanket out of the minkee backed with flannel and can't see how I'm going to piece blocks of it together. Any suggestions??

Comment

I used Minky on the back of a baby blanket and didn't have any problems quilting it. I used both spray basting and lots of pins.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 351 users online. 0 members and 351 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X