Need Help with squaring up blocks

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help with squaring up blocks

Hi All,

Can someone provide some tips for squaring up blocks. I know I did this before and it seemed oh so simple but.. my mind is drawing a blank. I have all kinds of "squares." My blocks need to be 8" and I have an 8.5" square... I just can't figure it out, LOL!!! I guess I need to go buy an 8" square??? But, seems to me I did this before. Thanks in advance for any help offered. :?

Hi Jessimina--
    You might not need to "square up" your block if it measures 8.5 inches now and you need it to measure 8 inches finished. Once you sew the 1/4 inch seam on each side of the block, that 8.5 inch block will finish to 8 inches.

If you need to square a block, lay your ruler over the block and determine the center measurement. (An 8.5 block center measurement would be 4.25 inches.) Be careful to use both the horizontal and vertical lines on your square ruler to keep the whole block as square as possible. Also, try not to cut off any points.
    Then trim any excess. You may find that you can trim two sides at a time.

Elenore Burns may have some tips for squaring up blocks. Terry

Comment

Hi Terry,

I'm sorry, I should have explained better. I am working with a block that has four triangles in it, but it only calls for two fabrics. They are placed together finished sides facing, sewn together diagonally, cut down the center and that block needs to be squared up to 8.5", then the two 8.5" blocks are sewn together diagonally, cut in half and that's the block that needs to be 8". When I am done it's as if I've sewn four triangles together to make a square. I think I've kind of figured it out.. what makes things worse is... it's flannel and is stretching a bit so each square is measuring slightly different. Oh well, good practice I guess, LOL!!! Thanks for your help. I wish there was a video somewhere, I learn by seeing vs. reading!

Comment

Hi Jessimina,

Here are some good explanations:

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltin...wap_blocks.htm

http://www.quiltuniversity.com/squaring_up.htm

I couldn't find any videos. Good luck!

JoAnne in so. California

Comment

I'll try to send you a written description to your e-mail but the previous web link looks like a great resource. TQS is just the best! Terry

Comment

Jessimina, you might also try a light spray of fabric starch to help stabilize the flannel. Just be careful when you press it that you don't do more stretching!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I just wanted to thank all who responded to my call for help. Things are a bit clearer now and my project is moving along. Thanks for all the emails Terry - they were a great help. I really do appreciate all the input.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 369 users online. 0 members and 369 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X