[vb_main_1]

panel to quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

panel to quilt

I have a panel of the "footprints" poem and scene to make for a dinner and auction for our church in two weeks. I have it about basted together but I'm not sure what the easiest way will be to quilt it. I will be doing it by hand. I put a picture of it on my profile so you can see what it looks like. The back fabric is clouds with seagulls flying. I first thought I could go around the edges and the maybe the footprints and the birds but I realized that would be way too off balanced. I would sure appreciate any suggestions.

What a beautiful panel Charlotte, no idea how you would quilt it but I am sure you will get lots of suggestions on this site. Maggi

Comment

That's beautiful, Charlotte! I think that to keep the text easy to read it just needs some horizontal lines where there is text. I would try to outline some of the details like the clouds, boat, water, sea oats and footprints, but keep the amount of quilting balanced over the whole piece. I hope you post a picture when you get it done!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

This would require lots of thread changes, but I would freemotion outline the clouds like Margo suggested. I would also straight stitch each side of the path which would make the path stand out more -- echo the feet in the sand -- free motion the grass in the direction that it is growing -- and then follow the water horizontally. Perhaps even outlining the sail boat.

If you use a very thin thread (60 weight or even 100 weight) and don't go over the lettering too much, I think it wouldn't detract from the lettering.

I really love the panel and look forward to you posting it again when you have finished it.

JoJo

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
        <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

How about a sunrise or sunrays breaking through the clouds? Other ideas are religious symbols (e.g., church, Jesus, bible, etc.).

It's okay if you do not like any of these ideas. Hopefully, they will spark some better ideas for you.

Happy quilting,
          Nancy

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
          <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas! You've given me lots to think about including the thought that I better get started if I'm going to hand quilt this in 2 weeks! Yikes!! :shock: I'll post a picture when it's done. Thanks again. Charlotte

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR

Comment

I think Nancy's idea about sunrays for the sky would look really good. A gentle wave pattern for the water and gentle curves in the sand. Keep the quilting far enough apart so the words and picture are just accented with the quilting. Judy in Torrance

Comment

Ok, I always say there is no such thing as a dumb question ....so this will show how much a beginner I am. I really have done basically echo or outline quilting. If I do sunrays or the grasses or waves or any of the other suggestions, do I change the threads to those colors or should I just stay with a neutral color like an off white? What about the back? Should I think about that at all? The back fabric is just sky with doves flying. I'm thinking about quilting the dove from the back in the borders maybe. I can't believe I have to have this done before Saturday and I'm hand quilting. It may be next years auction. I don't want to ruin it now. I've begun to be attached to it. What was I thinking :shock: Oh yeah, I wasn't :roll:
                Help please..... ops:

Comment

Originally posted by Charmart
                  Ok, I always say there is no such thing as a dumb question ....so this will show how much a beginner I am. I really have done basically echo or outline quilting. If I do sunrays or the grasses or waves or any of the other suggestions, do I change the threads to those colors or should I just stay with a neutral color like an off white? What about the back? Should I think about that at all? The back fabric is just sky with doves flying. I'm thinking about quilting the dove from the back in the borders maybe. I can't believe I have to have this done before Saturday and I'm hand quilting. It may be next years auction. I don't want to ruin it now. I've begun to be attached to it. What was I thinking :shock: Oh yeah, I wasn't :roll:
                  Help please..... ops:
                  Great question! The answer depends on whether you want your quilting to be the focus. For this particular panel, I would guess that you want the words on the panel to be the focus. You could choose a neutral or blending color thread to keep the focus off of the quilting. However, if you are going to handquilt, you'll probably want your stitches to show. I'm curious what others think.

Quilting the doves from the back in the borders is smart. I've used this technique in the sashings and borders to avoid having to mark, and it gives more interest to the quilt back.

Happy quilting,
                  Nancy

Comment

Charmart--I'd quilt it with a neutral thread so that the words will be the focus. I wouldn't worry about the thread color for the back of the quilt.. .different neutral colors will just add to the interest of the quilt back. For the rays, you can just draw a line on your quilt with a choco-liner--it will just brush away when you quilt over it.
                    I love the idea of quilting the doves from the back of the quilt into the border. I look forward to seeing/hearing what you do. Terry

Comment

Thanks y'all. I thought a neutral would be the best. I'm heading out to my church quilting group to start on it now. Wish me luck in getting it finished by Sat. I'll post when it's done. I appreciate all of your suggestions! I always know I can count on this group. I love The Quilt Show! It's a New Day!!
                      Charlotte

Comment

Charlotte, there are NO dumb questions here! We all have asked the same questions at one time or another. I'm a hand quilter and I've tried a little machine quilting. Both techniques use thread either to enhance a design or to be the main design. Your project needs the design to be enhanced. I think quilting the doves from the back in the border will look really nice. Your background will look really nice with an off-white thread. The backing can decide what color thread you will use depending on whether or not you want your stitches to show on the back. An all over floral design hides stitches and that's why if you use this type of fabric, you might not want to put all the effort into fancy quilting especially if the floral is for the borders. I hand quilted a 1930's double wedding ring top with off white thread and a wide muslin backing. The quilting looks so pretty on the back and sometimes I use the back of the quilt instead of the front. That also makes a quilt "fit" into any decorating scheme when the colors on the front are out of vogue. Judy in Torrance

Comment

Did you notice the sunrays quilted in the stained glass quilt by Daphne Greig (current TQS Video Episode 309)?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 209 users online. 0 members and 209 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X