[vb_main_1]

Sharon Schamber

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharon Schamber

I just watched Sharon's 3-part binding videos on YouTube. I'm definitely going to have to get me some glue!

But what I really want to know is, does anyone know what kind of iron that is? I can't read what it says for the life of me. I thought it might be Black & Decker, but their website doesn't show anything that looks like that.

Robin in Short Pump

Hey Robin in her book she says that she feels only Black and Decker and Rowenta travel irons get hot enough.
    Karen
    Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

In some videos, you can see that the iron she's using is a small Rowenta. I use an old GE travel iron that was given to me years ago. It's got the old cloth-covered wiring. It gets nice and hot.

Pat in Rockport, TX, where it's starting to get cloudy and breezy.
      Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Elly Sienkiewicz also told us in a seminar that she likes Black & Decke Classic irons.

They have steam holes but get REALLY hot and only cost in the $30 - $40 dollar range.

I have now owned a couple of these, but they last at least 4 years of heavy sewing, and I was tired of "investing" in way more expensive Rowenta irons which lasted only a year or two and never got all that hot in the first place!

BethMI

Comment

Believe it or not, my favorite iron that is still going strong and works perfectly for Sharon's techniques is called a "Mary Proctor" and the year of manufactur was 1961.

It's still running better than all of my irons and definately is the hottest. I still haven't turned it all the way to HI. It has a cloth cord that is in near perfect condition for its age.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
          <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

I love my B&amp;D classic iron... works better than any other I have tried, but I am trying to find a iron without the holes. I heard there is an on line store that sells them.... YANKEE MARKET or some such named store.... I have not found the link or the store... DO YOU KNOW THE NAME OF THE STORE? PLEASE POST HERE...

THANK YOU

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
            <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

Ladyrags--it's in another thread of the forum--the Vermont Country Store!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyRags
                I love my B&amp;D classic iron... works better than any other I have tried, but I am trying to find a iron without the holes. I heard there is an on line store that sells them.... YANKEE MARKET or some such named store.... I have not found the link or the store... DO YOU KNOW THE NAME OF THE STORE? PLEASE POST HERE...

THANK YOU
                LadyRags, I bought one of the dry irons from the Vermont Country Store and LOVE IT! It costs $29.95 plus S&amp;H...is lightweight, has no holes, does NOT turn off automatically, and gets really HOT! The only down side I've noticed is that the black handle is the only part that doesn't get hot, so I have to watch my fingers when doing close work. I'm definitely pleased with my purchase!

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/b...01110/I/f06328

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I have an old GE travel iron, too, which I love--it really gets hot! In my class I took with Sally Collins, she mentioned buying an iron from the Vermont store.

Comment

unfortunatly here in Eu you can not find traveler iron from Rawenta or B&amp;D, Sahron said on one of her video that it is wise to use travel iron due to the weight of it.
                    i have seen another great iron called Laura star, i am going to buy it but i dont know yet if they have a travel size.
                    good luck with it, it is great fun!!!

Comment

I have had a Laura Star for years and years. It is an amazing iron and very heavy. The steamer is the best I have ever seen. You can hold a shirt up in the air and blast it with steam and get all the wrinkles out!
                      It cost me a lot but I have never had to replace it and doubt I ever will. I also have a Shark iron I got at Wal-Mart. It gets hot fast and has auto turn off. Really good steam and light weight.

Barbara

Comment

I love the heavy irons...I set them for a couple of seconds.. and my block is pressed perfect.

Comment

I loved my B&amp;D classic but I dropped it and the handle cracked. I still used it until I couldn't clean the gunk off anymore. Nothing worked. I am definitely getting another one. I don't like auto shut off; it takes the iron too long to heat up again and when several ladies are allusing the same iron, it can get a little crazy. :shock:
                          eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                          Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Hi Robin,

Can you tell me what the name of the glue is please.

Jill Australia

Taree NSW - Australia
                            My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Patchworkjill
                              Hi Robin,

Can you tell me what the name of the glue is please.

Jill Australia
                              Jill, I'm not Robin, but can tell you that Sharon Schamber recommends Elmer's Washable School Glue. Here is a link to her video for curved bindings showing how she uses glue for this technique:

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/fre...ved/part1.html

She uses this same glue, and the washable glue sticks, for lots of her techniques, and I'm really impressed with how helpful gluing is!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 287 users online. 0 members and 287 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X