[vb_main_1]

How to teach 10 yos to quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to teach 10 yos to quilt

Hello, I am starting quilt lessons for a friends 10 yo twins boy and girl, any suggestions on where to start or things to teach them?

Check the Shoppe for Alex's book on teaching kids. From what I understand it's wonderful.

Happy Quilting!
    Teri
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

All of my grandkids made pillowcases first. That way they got used to how the sewing machine worked, sewing straight lines, etc. Then the girls all made doll quilts. We just cut up a bunch of squares and they sewed them together. Then they made flannel pj bottoms and then last year the 10 yr. old made a quilt for her bed and this year her 11 yr. old cousin made hers.

Comment

For Christmas I gave them the tools and Alex' book and some fabric but they have been too busy to learn yet, we start Friday. I was thinking discussing fabric choices then safty. I told them they could pick our first project from Alex' book, I think it will be a book bag. Thier mom wants them to learn to sew by hand before we use the machine but I may change her mind since she will be taking the lessons with them now. I taught my daughters, granddaughters and their friends to sew but not quilting they just want the ones I make for them.

Anything I should make sure I show them?

Comment

When I was teaching my then 7 yo, I let select a block from one of my quilt books. I enlarged it to where the block itself was 36x36. It wound up being a very large 9 patch, with the challenge of half square triangles. She did well with the piecing. I let her shop my stash, she was very comfortable selecting colors--she mainly used solids and a St. Jude print--very bright. The quilting we did together ---she assembled the sandwich and I began the stipple. She did the binding with the walking foot.

The main lesson I learned while teaching her was speak the directions slowly and have her repeat...that way I can be sure she understood what I said, if she didn't I still had a chnce to correct the instructions before any harm of foul may have occured.

FYI, my 11 yo is currently learning how to speed piece HST's. The best thing in this lesson is the speed control on my brother machine. lol!

Best of luck! Lissette

Comment

I started sewing and quilting with my granddaughter when she was three or four. We made a pillow to match her Mom's quilt. She sat on my lap and I ran the machine while she guided the fabric. Next we made a quilt for her American Girl doll when she was eight. This year on an outing with Grandpa and me, she designed and made a quilt wall hanging. All I did was direct the process and teach her each steps. (See my blog= New Quilt Designer, Ricky look out here she comes for the process and pictures). She is very proud of her design and her work and I plan to keep on working with her every chance we get.

My advice is let them do something they are excited about and yet something they can finish relatively quickly. It is worth ever minute.

Ann

Comment

I agree w/ Ann, something they can finish rather quickly to keep up the interest... which advocates for getting the Mom to agree to using the machine. I think with the appropriate safety instruction a child can use a machine as safely as we can, maybe safer, b/c when they run into a problem they're going to ask you for help rather than try to solve it themselves, which is where we sometimes get into trouble (ouch!) Looks like you've got a nice machine that will have speed control. When I taught my son LY (then 9) DH put a block at the front of the foot pedal to act as a speed regulator and that was important, kids will naturally want to go pedal-to-the-metal
              Maybe embellishing w/ some hand stitching would be cool too, to give them some experience using a needle & thread....
              Florence

Comment

I have taught kids as young as 7 starting with a simple sort-of log cabin block. We pick a novelty fabric and cut about a 6" -8" square. Add 4 strips, first top and bottom, then sides, pressing each as it's sewn. These strips should be fairly wide. Then do another "round". The cute thing is that if it turns out "wonky", it doesn't matter, it still looks adorable. Add a backing and it's a pillow they are totally proud of.

I always place my hand on their ruler hand while rotary cutting and don't generally allow the very youngest ones to use it at all. I think with age 10, you'll be able to show them and just help them.

I place several layers of painter's tape in front of the needle and presser foot to help them guide the fabric through at the proper seam allowance. For some reason, they all seem to make the seams quite crooked, with a larger seam allowance toward the end of the seam. Maybe the fabric starts to drag off the side or something. Watch their fingers near the needle and using a nice large plastic presser foot is better than a tiny metal one.

Good luck! Nancy in NY

Comment

Thank you so much everyone.

The class has been postponed for a week, yea! All your advice is great and I will definately use them all. Yes I do have machines where the speed can be controlled so, I will slow them down before they start and put the larger see through feet on them (I have three Berninas, I am very lucky).

Thank you all again, you are the best.

These 10 yos are very disiplined and act like short adults. They are home schooled and their mother teaches a class of manners for children, ("The School of Uncommon Courtesy"). They are going to be a delite to teach and with all your ideas, it will be fun too.

Thanks again.
                  Linda

sorry for the spelling does anyone know how to spell check here?

Comment

Linda, there are no spelling police on this site. Judy in AZ

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 207 users online. 0 members and 207 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X