[vb_main_1]

Quilt rescued from house fire--need suggestions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt rescued from house fire--need suggestions

A co-worker brought a quilt to me that had been rescued from her MIL's house fire. I think it's possible to salvage part of it but I need suggestions and advice.

http://tinyurl.com/6mr9l5

Thanks
    Robin in Short Pump

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

I have a quilted bear made out of a quilt from my great-grandmother. the quilt was so badly worn that it could never be used or displayed, but spots of it were in pretty good shape.

My second cousin had it made into 2 stuffed bears and on the butts of them she put the quilt label. (She stitched a duplicate of the original for the bottom of my bear.)

It is a prized possession -- much more prized than the holey quilt would have been. (What would i have done with THAT??)

BethMI

Comment

I had a very badly worn quilt that my great grandmother had made. We had used it and abused it for years before I realized that it might have some value. After checking with my mother, I cut it into squares and made pillows and wall hangings for family members. I had enough for my immediate family and one of my mother's cousins family also got three sections of it. There are at least two cousins who want to inherit my piece because my children each have their own pieces. This was a basket motive so it made beautiful wall hangings and pillows. (I wouldn't make pillows again because of the stretching some of them started to fray badly but everybody loved them and when they wear out they wear out)

So I would look for the pieces that can be salvaged and make wall hangings for the family members. Unless of course enough could be salvaged for a lap robe or throw and then I would cut off the damage rebind and use as is. But that is me. Good luck with your project. Ann

Comment

my mom has a small shadow box frame with pieces of; a quilt, some tatting, portions of a handwritten letter and an old photo of her mother.
        it's very sweet.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 209 users online. 0 members and 209 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
        X