[vb_main_1]

size of lap quilts/ throws/ napping quilts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

size of lap quilts/ throws/ napping quilts

I am shocked ... I have dozen of books but can not find the size of a throw/ lap robe / napping blanket. I could find information for twin, full, queen and king size quilts but none of my books give a pattern size for a lap robe or napping blanket.

Our guild's current project is to make quilts for a local cancer treatment center. A lot of the patients get chills when they get their chemo. We want to make quilts for those that need or want to warm up during their course of treatment. Some will be given to the patients but some will be left at the center to be available when needed. ( Nurse's request)

What size would be a good size to make. I want to cut my fabric and have it ready for the sew a thon.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking about 60 inches long and about 50 inches wide. Is that a practile size?

I have a pattern that gives the sizes of baby lap twin full etc quilts. The lap size listed is 57x75 finished. Hope that is helpful. Sandi in FL

Comment

Lap size is about 40 x 50. Wonderful project!!! I do have to say these quilts will go home with the patients when they use them. Our chemo and dialysis centers do not 'reuse' the quilts due to health regulations. The hospital laundry department will not wash the quilts.
      My one group did the same project...we did three quilts each and the center said they were all gone within a month!! It was good to know the quilts kept patients warm.
      We did not use the color black or dark brown in our quilts. We tried to use bright colors and we also made several quilts for children too.

FW

Comment

I have a pattern for a Bargello / quilt as you go quilt

( sew and flip each column, then quilt doen the middle of the column before you add the next one. ) This method and pattern is suppose to go really fast. I need 25 to 30 coordinating prints/ blenders and

So far I have found several pretty teal, turquoise and aqua fabrics in my stash. I did plan to have some darker tones but that is to make the lighter ones pop.

I am looking in other bins for yellows - golds.

I also thought fusia or coral pink would make it kind of pop ... I want tropical cariibeanian (sp) colors... but I am not sure these will work together.

Can you guys suggest any other colors that are tropical.. caribeanian in nature that will blend together well? Choosing colors out of my normal palette is the hardest for me... I tend to be traditional but I wanted to try something different.

When I get off work today I plan to see what I have in my stash before I hit the quilt shops or JoAnn fabrics. I need all my colors together by next week.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

This is what I do...stop at the paint store and pick up paint cards...then I take them to the fabric store.
          One tool that has helped me is the 3-in1 Color Tool by Joen Wolfrom http://www.ctpub.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=808
          I take this with me always to the fabric store. Using this tool, I have become more aware of the 'undertones' of a color.

I think tropical colors will be beautiful. Browns can have more of gold/orange tones which would be beautiful with the greens and the coral.

Have fun with your project!!

FW

Comment

Under the same Forum subject as "Help! - I'm Stuck" I was looking for advice on a lap size quilt for chemo treatments. Some folks had some really good advice. You may want to look back at the comments under the topic of "Lap quilt size?" to see those comments!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 193 users online. 0 members and 193 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X