[vb_main_1]

spray basting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

spray basting

I am really new at quilting. I bought some basting spray and used it on some fabric that I am quilting to make a pocketbook. I machine quilt so should I pin the fabric as well? It seems pretty secure, but thought I should ask for advice before messing up pretty fabric. Thanks.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

I don't ever pin when I spray baste and it's never caused a problem for me. Everything does stay secure. Spray basting is great for smaller items. And we'd love to see your project when you're done! Good luck!

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Originally posted by Bridget473
      Spray basting is great for smaller items.
      I spray basted a lap size quilt that I made. It worked out really good, except for towards the end I had a few puckers, because my layers kind of shifted. BUT, I did not use very much spray (I was worried about getting the overspray on my surfaces). So next time I will cover my areas and use more spray!! :wink:

Comment

I agree with Bridget, on the smaller pieces it REALLY works great. I've yet to use it on a large project, but I would make sure to cover it well with the spray or to randomly place a few pins if I were worried about it.

Carla

Comment

I always use spray and have never had a problem. I did a queen size quilt that way. Really did a number on my back, shoulders and arms but no trouble with shifting. Gloria, thanking my lucky stars for living on the high ground.

Comment

Just a reminder, ladies, if you choose to use the spray basting products (I do not), please use a respirator mask or do it outside. That stuff that is causing the batting and backing to stick to the quilt top is also going into your lungs, and will not do them any good.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

WOW! Pat your quilts are great..........You have quite a knack with demension!!Love them...........I use spray adhesive almost exclusively, and I use a lot of it, especially on large projects. I throw in a few pins for good luck, but they really aren't necessary if you have used a lot of spray........I agree with Pat, It's best to do it outside on on the covered floor of the garage........The over spray can make a big mess in your sewing room........the voice of experience........

Comment

I was taught to use basting spray when I took the class to learn how to use my new Bernina. Since then, I went on Diane Gaudynski's website and she said it gets in your machine and on your needles and that she doesn't use it now. Have any of you had any problems with this? Ricky mentioned using water soluble thread for basting (he mentioned it in the first show with Joe Cunningham--I'm going back and re-watching the shows). I'm going to try the thread and see how that works.

Comment

I love spray basting, even on larger quilts. After spray basting, I do stitch in the ditch around the main blocks and borders to stabilize it all prior to any further quilting.

I use 505 spray.

<a href="http://www.tinkletimes.com"> Have you "Tinkled" today?</a>

Comment

I use basting spray on almost all my projects. It is great for smaller ones - no pins needed!! On larger projects I have found that I needed to do at least a little pinning, especially around the edges as they tend to pull loose as I am shifting the quilt around. I have never had any problems with my machines using the spray either. No gummy needles or anything, so I think it is pretty safe. I do change my needles fairly often though.

Comment

Thank you for the advice, so far its holding well. I hope to finish the project this weekend. Sandi in FL

Comment

Originally posted by Judymc
                        I was taught to use basting spray when I took the class to learn how to use my new Bernina. Since then, I went on Diane Gaudynski's website and she said it gets in your machine and on your needles and that she doesn't use it now. Have any of you had any problems with this? Ricky mentioned using water soluble thread for basting (he mentioned it in the first show with Joe Cunningham--I'm going back and re-watching the shows). I'm going to try the thread and see how that works.
                        Judy, the thread is awesome. You can see how I use it in my blogs about the journey to get the raffle quilt done. The most important thing is to make sure all your layers are either pinned or taped down. I use blue painters tape to hold everything in place until all the basting is done. There are pics of that process also.

Happy Quilting, Linda

Comment

I've now basted 3 small quilts using Sharon Schamber's method, seated comfortably at my dining room table, and I'll never go back to my old method of pin basting on my cutting table--always got a sore back from that. Give her way a try, it's great. If you go to YouTube and do a search on her name, you'll find the video on how to baste with her method.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

Originally posted by pknord
                            I've now basted 3 small quilts using Sharon Schamber's method, seated comfortably at my dining room table, and I'll never go back to my old method of pin basting on my cutting table--always got a sore back from that. Give her way a try, it's great. If you go to YouTube and do a search on her name, you'll find the video on how to baste with her method.
                            I am so grateful for this thorough and instructive resource you've passed along. I'm very stuck and have been trying to figure out how to manage a quilt that finally stopped growing at 108", :shock: way beyond anything I've done before. In addition to the control, I really like how the method allows you to correct wayward seam allowances, loose threads, so on.

Would love to read your tips as well as anyone's advice on how to work with frighteningly large projects.

Thanks!

Comment

I, too, have a quilt top that reached frightening proportions! I put it away months ago cuz the thought of basting that bad boy is so intimidating! I need a couple of days and LOTS of room to spread it out. Gotta get myself real motivated!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 182 users online. 0 members and 182 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X