[vb_main_1]

Rayon thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rayon thread

Have rayon thread that I am trying to machine quilt with. Lost a blue ribbon to this problem last year. It doesn't matter if I backstich several stitches or "fix" my thread at the beginning and end. It still looks like I haven't clipped my threads. Any suggestions? ritzy

I always burie my threads into the quilt even if I take small stitches at the beinging and end. Maybe you can try that rather than clip them.

Comment

Originally posted by areitzel
      I always burie my threads into the quilt even if I take small stitches at the beinging and end. Maybe you can try that rather than clip them.
      That was going to be the next thing to try--I just don't know if it will stay in the batting or come out and really look like I didn't cut the thread. Thanks for your hel[. ritzy
      '

Comment

How do you bury the threads?

Comment

I think she means that instead of clipping the excess thread, you put a hand sewing needle on it, and bring it under into the batting, then back up where you can knot it and tug the knot back under like in hand quilting.

Comment

Have you seen the self threading needles? They are easy to use for this task.
            The eye of the needle is open at the top and you just have to push it on the thread. The thread then drops into the eye and you can bury the thread as for handquilting. This means that you can bury even a short thread relatively easily

Comment

A synthetic thread's mission in life is to return to its manufactured state. In this case, that means straighten itself out thereby undoing tiny securing stitches. To be sure that the thread ends don't make themselves visible to the judges' eyes, bury them by hand the way you would the end of a hand quilting thread. And, if you're very precise, a teensy drop of Fray Check will seal the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by susanberbec
                A synthetic thread's mission in life is to return to its manufactured state. In this case, that means straighten itself out thereby undoing tiny securing stitches. To be sure that the thread ends don't make themselves visible to the judges' eyes, bury them by hand the way you would the end of a hand quilting thread. And, if you're very precise, a teensy drop of Fray Check will seal the deal.
                Thanks, it was pretty frustrating since the judge insinuated that I hadn't cut the thread close enough--I had, it just made a stitch come loose. ritzy

Comment

Those self threading needles do work well when you are burying cotton quilting threads but the rayon thread frays like crazy when you try to push it down onto the needle. When I bury rayon threads, I use a small tapestry needle with the big eye...just like if you were working with needlepoint yarn, you fold the thread in half, pull against the fold with the needle, then push the folded thread through the eye. Give it a try for rayon threads especially.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs.A
                    Those self threading needles do work well when you are burying cotton quilting threads but the rayon thread frays like crazy when you try to push it down onto the needle. When I bury rayon threads, I use a small tapestry needle with the big eye...just like if you were working with needlepoint yarn, you fold the thread in half, pull against the fold with the needle, then push the folded thread through the eye. Give it a try for rayon threads especially.
                    YEP, I FOUND THAT THE RAYON DIDN'T WORK WELL WITH THIS NEEDLE. WILL HAVE TO TRY THE TAPESTRY NEEDLE. THANKS.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 192 users online. 0 members and 192 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X