[vb_main_1]

Sit Down Quilting Machine - Sweet 16

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sit Down Quilting Machine - Sweet 16

Getting real close to buying one of these - any advice? Also, if someone has a Sweet 16 - does it have needle up/down? Is there something better - like the PLATINUM™16 mid-arm quilting machine? Thanks!
    Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

I have a Sweet Sixteen and love it. The Babylock Tiara is the same machine. My advice is to get a machine that has close dealer support, or whatever machine includes at least one hour or two lesson as soon as the machine is set up. In the mid-Atlantic, we have at least one dealer who will go to your house, set up the table and machine, and give an hour lesson which includes all the basics.

The initial learning curve is not quite as easy because long-arm tension is different that our instant domestic sewing machines, especially if you have a domestic like a Bernina which has us spoiled as far as tension adjustment goes. You have to become very comfortable with adjusting your bobbin tension.

There is good information out there through the HQ website and watch Jamie Wallen's youtube video on Longarm tension. Watch all the videos from all the brands.

There is also a Yahoo group HQ_Sit_Down_Model

Have Fun!

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Sue. I was going to order it through sewingmachineplus.com because of their price. But maybe I need to slow down and see who sells it nearby so I can get the personal support. I will check out the video you suggested. Thanks again!

Comment

Before you make your decision, why don't you try the Gammill sit-down? I think it's called the Charm. Gammill has been doing longarms for a longer time than most of the other companies on the market.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
        Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I will check out the Gammill - thanks, Eileen!

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
          Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I "test drove" the Sweet Sixteen, as well as the APQS (George) and Gammill (Charm) sit-down machines at Paducah this spring. All are quality products. In the end, I purchased a Sweet Sixteen. There were 2 main reasons. First, I liked the way that the SS was positioned, with the sewing head facing toward you, instead of perpendicular like a domestic machine. It really makes managing the bulk of a quilt much easier. Second, the SS was much less expensive, and I couldn't justify the extra expense for the other machines since they all seemed to perform equally well.

Good luck with your decision!

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Comment

I use a sweet 16 also, I just love it! My dealer is less than a mile from me! I really like the simplicity of the machine, and the fact that the head faces forward instead of sideways. I do a lot of detail quilting and keep my head closer to the work. If the eyelet that holds the thread is bobbing up and down right by my face, it could be distracting or dangerous, so I appreciate that this is not in the way on the sweet sixteen. Yes, it has needle up/down function. You set it to stop either needle up or down, and you can also push another button to make the needle move a single time, either up or down.

I do believe that dealer support is very important, which is why I bought from my local dealer. Since the Tiara and the Sweet Sixteen are the same machine, whichever dealer is closest might determine your choice.

Jamie Wallen's tension video on you-tube is very enlightening, for anyone who quilts on a non domestic sewing machine.

Kathy

Comment

Thanks Connie & Kathy. I think I just might drive up to Houston this week and check out the machines at the quilt show. I appreciate everyone's input - will let you know what I decide. I am soooo anxious! :lol:

Comment

Stop the presses! Bernina is debuting their new sit down quilting machine!!! I have the sweet sixteen, but I KNOW the Bernina will be better! Don't know about the price, though.

Comment

A HQ Sweet Sixteen with the table, delivered and set-up (by some dealers) is about $5,000. The delivery charges are free right now as part of a Houston special, no matter where you live. It is basic and it does what it does well, and it has been on the market for years. Just thinking about newer machines gives me the heebie-geebies until they are proven. I guess I read too many forums. Just saying! I still think access to a good dealer is paramount, although I've never needed it for my HQ. Sometimes my new fangled Bernina has to go back every 6 months, or every 6 weeks when she starts "quacking". (I still don't know what that is). I love my Berninas, especially my older ones, so read between the lines. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by LPoullard
                      Thanks Connie & Kathy. I think I just might drive up to Houston this week and check out the machines at the quilt show. I appreciate everyone's input - will let you know what I decide. I am soooo anxious! :lol:
                      That's a great idea to test them out at a quilt show. when I went to Road to California a couple of years ago, I stayed for a couple of days, and had lots of time to try the different machines. I quickly found some that were good for the way I like to quilt, and some that didn't work for me.

I'm sure that the quality of the machines is very good for all the brands, it probably is a matter of what suits you and how much you want to pay .

Have fun, Kathy

Comment

Going to call HQ and two shops within driving distance tomorrow to see 1) what they are selling for at the quilt show and 2) if either shop will match the quilt show price. If not, guess I will have to drive to Houston (which I rather not do). Hmmmmm, wonder if they will have the new Bernina at the show?

Comment

Just an update. Talked to HQ today and they are selling the SS (with stitch regulator) for $5295 with bonuses (but I don't know what the bonuses are ).

Comment

There is no delivery charge around here, while Houston is on. Additionally, just found out there is a new hopping foot set that is an easy change out, as in screw on and screw off to change from closed to open toed foot. They won't be out until mid-November, but orders are being taken. I've ordered one, because I like ruler work & the open toed foot is kind of a pain with rulers, but I like it for free-motion. There is also a new set of couching feet available.

When I got my machine, I was given $300 of Golden Threads poly-wrapped polycore thread. Nice for utility quilts and easy to use.
                            It will be fun to see what the extras are. Let us know!

Comment

Well, the two local HQ rep stores are offering the show price and no shipping! Sooooooo, rather not have to drive to Houston since I can get the same price local.

Susan, where are they taking pre-orders for the new hopping foot - did you order it local or from HQ?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 23 users online. 0 members and 23 guests.

Most users ever online was 162 at 11:28 PM on 05-25-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X