[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Machine Quilting with wool batting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michelle, do they all have the same loft? Does it matter whether the bonded side is up or down?

Comment

Thank you Michelle!! Lots of great info!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I have not measured them to compare, but I think the QD and Hobbs are similar - about 3/8" thick. QD might be a hair thicker than Hobbs. Both give great definition! I have not seen the Legacy wool in person.

The point of bonding or having a scrim is to prevent bearding and to keep the needle from punching the fibers through to the backing. I always put the scrim or bonded side down towards the backing. You want to needle to first penetrate the fibers and then meet the bonding or scrim which only lets the needle through, not the fibers. The Hobbs probably can be placed with either side down, because I believe the chemical is sprayed on and through it. QD is a bit fluffier and wispier on one side, and if you peel a corner of it, you can see that one side peels with lots of fluff and the other doesn't. The side that doesn't fluff peel is the side with the bonding, so lay that down. Sometimes you an actually see the super fine poly mesh like fibers that hold that side in. It almost looks like Misty Fuse. Much thinner than interfacing.

HTH!

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
          Thank you Michelle!! Lots of great info!
          Well, I am not the 'Fountain of Info' like you are Margo... but I am pretty good at looking at websites for some info. Coupled with my 9 years of longarming, I know a bit about battings... :wink:

If anyone wants more info take a look at:

hobbsbondedfibers.com
          quiltersdreambatting.com
          pellonprojects.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the information on wool battings. I think I will be looking for new wool batting at the Paducah show in April! I don't think I want to chance the Legacy batting I bought. Not on this quilt!!!

Comment

Thank you so much, Michelle, for making this information so clear. I saved it to my OneNote, to rememner

living in Central Denmark
              Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Michelle, you provided a great guide for a novice like me. Your information is saved in OneNote for me too (I happen to love Quilter's Dream batting, have a hard time going back to Warm and Natural now... )

Comment

Michelle, thank you for all the wonderful information! I'm currently quilting a twin-size quilt on my domestic sewing machine with Quilter's Dream wool batting and having a few issues of bearding. I love the texture and loft of the QD, though, so I'm glad to hear about looking for that scrim because I want to keep using it.

Comment

Thanks everyone, you are a wealth of info and frankly much faster than searching multiple websites!! This was not my question, but I popped in to see what everyone had to say. Very informative! Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Comment

I have recently started using Hobbs Heirloom Wool batting and absolutely love it. It is so light weight and needles beautifully wheter by hand or machine. I have to order it. Not to many people in Texas want wool. I also make sure there is not a wool Allergy in the recipient. I don't want it given back or tossed a side because some one can't breath or has a rash.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 117 users online. 0 members and 117 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X