[vb_main_1]

Hand Quilting Sashiko Blocks in a Quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand Quilting Sashiko Blocks in a Quilt

I am ready to hand quilt a small wallhanging that contains 9 blocks, four of which are 6" sasiko blocks. Since this area is too large to not have any quilting in it (wool batting), does anyone have suggestions on how to quilt these blocks? Too much quilting will take away from the sashiko quilting. I'm just not sure how to proceed. Thanks for any suggestions.

How about using a thread the same colour (or slightly darker) as the fabric and stitching right next to the Sashiko embroidery, almost tucking the quilting stitches under the Sashiko so that they blend in and look as if the Sashiko is actually the quilting? Just a thought. Or if it is a dense pattern, you could just do the basic 'bones' of the pattern.

Comment

That is a good idea. I thought about using invisible thread but I like your idea better.

Comment

Sylvia Pippen just came to our guild last month, and I took a class from her on Sashiko and applique. She brought some of her quilts, which are hand quilted. Oh Boy! talk about a great opportunity to see what a master does! her quilting was done with thread matching the background, quite a thin thread, not pulled very tight. the quilting just held the fabric together without drawing attention to itself. She used simple allover sashiko motifs, actually changing them in different areas (ie not all over the entire quilt). Clamshells, arcs, diagonal lines were used. Her batting was very thin and supple. The quilts looked quite different from most handquilted quilts as the sashiko was the star and you had to look to see the quilting. Hope this helps. you might want to look at her website or some of her books. I don't really feel like I should post a picture since it's not my work- I'd feel funny about doing that . Kathy

Comment

Here's a link for Sylvia's web site: http://www.sylvia-pippen.com/

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your responses. These are exellent suggestions. I have the quilt basted and am using wool batting. This could be a problem since you indicated Sylvia used a very thin batting. I have to think on this issue. Great website.

Comment

I am glad you asked this question, Janie, I have wondered the same thing. Fortunately, I have Pippen's book Paradise Stitched. She doesn't say anything about which batting she uses, but I'm sure your wool will be fine. She writes that she is a lap quilter, rather than using a hoop or frame. Here are her instructions for the quilting:

"I usually quilt in the ditch right along seams around any pieced blocks, then around the applique, and next to sashing strips and borders. I quilt next to Sashiko designs enough to anchor the layers well. However, it is not necessary to completely outline Sashiko with quilting."

Hope that helps!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 210 users online. 0 members and 210 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X