Wool batting and moths

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wool batting and moths

Hi everyone,

I recently watched all of Alex's hand quilting videos. In one of them she mentions that she has avoided using wool batts for wall quilts due to her fear of moths. This is even though the wool would be sandwiched between a cotton front and back.

So I want to ask, has anyone ever used a wool batt for a wall quilt and had moth damage? When I used to live in northern California I well remember that moths were a big problem there. I lost two knitting projects and a fine wool suit to moths. Here in Canada we have moths, but I have never had moth damage to a wool item (that I can recall, anyway).

I plan to hand quilt my Sedona Star project in big stitches with perle cotton. Even though it is big it will live on the wall, not on a bed. With all the paper piecing and applique it is already pretty heavy, so I want to use a lightweight batt that is still natural fibres.

Any and all advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much,

Monica.

I emailed Hobbs because I heard the same worry about moths. The short answer is no worry about moths when sandwiched between cotton.

Coast of South Carolina USA
    Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

Thanks, Pam, that is good news.

If there IS anyone out there who's had a problem though, please let us know! Otherwise, I guess no news is good news in this case! :lol:

Happy sewing!

Coast of South Carolina USA
      Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 74 users online. 0 members and 74 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
      X