[vb_main_1]

Machine quilting with MonoPoly

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine quilting with MonoPoly

I'm looking for people who have quilted with MonoPoly. I see that Superior Threads recommends using bottom line in the bobbin. My question is: I usually leave a long tail, pulling the bobbin tail to the top and knot and bury the tails. Does this work with MonoPoly? I've not used MonoPoly before. I usually use cotton although I have used the same method with Sulky threads. I was going to use MonoPoly in the bobbin also. Is it possible to do that? Every time I have tried using something different in the bobbin and on the top, the bottom thread always shows on the top, no matter how much I changed the tension. Today I am using water soluble thread to do a stabilizing quilting around each square. I hope to start the permanent quilting tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Frances

I don't see why the knotting thing should not work. I
    I can't remember if I ever tried MonoPoly in the bobbin, but I'm quite sure I have heard of people using it.

Try on a test example to see what happens and then tell it here

living in Central Denmark
    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Originally posted by Franceslovesfabric
      I'm looking for people who have quilted with MonoPoly. I see that Superior Threads recommends using bottom line in the bobbin. My question is: I usually leave a long tail, pulling the bobbin tail to the top and knot and bury the tails. Does this work with MonoPoly? I've not used MonoPoly before. I usually use cotton although I have used the same method with Sulky threads. I was going to use MonoPoly in the bobbin also. Is it possible to do that? Every time I have tried using something different in the bobbin and on the top, the bottom thread always shows on the top, no matter how much I changed the tension. Today I am using water soluble thread to do a stabilizing quilting around each square. I hope to start the permanent quilting tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Frances
      Frances, I use MonoPoly for quilting in both my domestic and long arm machines. Just be aware that it is slick, and make sure the ends are secure, either with 1/4" or so of tiny stitches, or tie a knot and bury the threads if you are concerned about the look of smaller stitches.
      I always loosen my top tension so that there is no bobbin thread showing on the top when I sew. Sometimes the tension is set down to almost "0"!
      The monofiliment will not show on the back, but the bobbin thread can be really unsightly on the top if the tension is not right.

Monopoly can be used in the bobbin, but wind the bobbins at about 1/2 speed to avoid stretching and only fill your bobbin 1/2 full. That's a LOT of monofiliment!
      Here is some info from Dr. Bob!
      http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...-in-the-bobbin

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks Margo. I didn't read that thread because I don't have an APQS machine. I'm not sure if I can slow down the bobbin winder on my machine, I'll have to try it and see.

Frances

Comment

Originally posted by Franceslovesfabric
          Thanks Margo. I didn't read that thread because I don't have an APQS machine. I'm not sure if I can slow down the bobbin winder on my machine, I'll have to try it and see.

Frances
          Frances do you not wind your bobbin with your foot pedal? If you do then the speed is up to you. I have tried using monofilament in the bobbin as well as the top but my machine didn't like it. Margo's suggestion of only half filling the bobbin is a great idea I loaded mine full and the bobbin broke because it was just too much . I think filling at half speed might help with that too. I only ever use monofilament from the top and lower the tension right down and that seems to work fine. Good luck with it. Hope you do a practice run first.

Comment

I know that when I've tried this its been a disaster. But that was TQS-BC. I remember visions of very curley thread coming off the bobbin. I am sure it was a bobbin tension thing. Perhaps I would give it another try now that I understand more about what the problem might have been. Good luck! Lois

Comment

I have a bit more to add now. Yesterday I was watching a class on Craftsy and the teacher taught how to use this thread. She says to use a thin thread (like The Bottom Line or Masterpiece or Aurifil) in the bobbin and the MonoPoly on top. Lower the upper tension to near 0 and start with 5-6 very small stitches to lock it and then she cuts the thread ends. Much easier than tying all those knots.
              If you're interested look at the classes here:
              http://www.craftsy.com This particular class is Beyond Basic Machine Quilting
              You'll attend the class and have access to it as long as there are computers, so you can go back and watch again and again. I find the fee cheap.

when looking at the next chapter in the class I found out, that when she makes quilt for shows and judges she will always tie the threads and bury them.

living in Central Denmark
              Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Thanks Norma. I'll try what's been suggested and if I still have trouble, I'll check it out.

Frances

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions. I put Bottom Line in the bobbin and turned down my top tension to 1.25. Then I did a test and it turned out perfectly. I now have the Mariner's Compass in the center outlined. I am still trying to decide if I will outline sections through the middle of the compass. I'll see if things are still right when I start stippling.

Comment

So glad it's working for you, Frances! Have fun!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Great that you've got it working Frances. I have also found that I need to take the stippling more slowly - like I would with metallic thread. Happy quilting.

Comment

What size needle are you using? I can free motion with this and then get a big glop, so I'm encouraged to try again by the success stories.

Comment

Susan, right now I'm using an 80/12 but I'm still only doing stitch in the ditch. I will have to see if I need to change things when I get to free motion stuff.

Frances

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 73 users online. 0 members and 73 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X