[vb_main_1]

Tracing Paper for Marking?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tracing Paper for Marking?

Good morning all, I'm having a huge challenge in using the pounce chalk method when trying to mark my quilt for hand quilting. I'm doing the Baptist Fan pattern, and trying to make sure the curves are accurate is pretty tough. I had an idea, but I wanted to run it by you all first. How about if I were to run my tracing wheel through the ruler template (which is the only thing I can find so far that is small enough for the template) onto the old tracing paper that I used to use years ago when sewing clothing? Would it wash out? Since I always used the tracing paper for darts, it never occurred to me until this minute, to check to see if the marks went out. I would experiment myself right now, however I don't have any of the tracing paper on hand. This is why we should never throw anything away, lol!

If there is a better suggestion, please let me know. By the way, I did try a purple disappearing marker, that actually fit in the tiny groove in the ruler template, but it dried up pretty quickly.

Happy Tuesday!

Kathy in Calif

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

I use rag vellum (craft store or office supply store) and mark the design with a thin Sharpie. I use a 100 or 120 needle in the machine, unthreaded, and stitch at least a 3 or 3.5 length around the design. It leaves a large enough hole that the pounce goes thru. It is also stable enough that I can roll up the paper and reuse it.

Coast of South Carolina USA
    Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

Kathy, you might want to try marking with a clover chalk-o-liner instead of a pounce pad for hand work if you want to use chalk.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CEwQ8wIwAA

For a mark that lasts a little longer, but is easy to get out, I like the Bohin ceramic marker:

http://www.adelescott.com/Bohin-extr...source=froogle

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Margo, I'm with you on this one:

[/quote]For a mark that lasts a little longer, but is easy to get out, I like the Bohin ceramic marker:

http://www.adelescott.com/Bohin-extr...source=froogle[/quote]

I have a similar from Sewline and they have 5 colors to put in it. It works beautifully

I bought mine in DK, but here is a link for all you Americans

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/sewlinepencil.htm

living in Central Denmark
        Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

(Firm) tracing paper is great for the prick and pounce method, it is what I was taught to use at the RSN for transfering embroidery designs.

I've just been working on a pot holder (I'm getting there Beth!) and for marking the quilting lines I just scored the design onto the fabric using my stilleto (a small embroidery tool for making holes not your shoe heels!) and the design was lovely and clear and stayed visible while all the work was done, even with pulling the backing off and adding another layer of batting. I have also used my spiked tracing wheel to mark stitching lines and find that they tend to stay reasonably well.

Before getting a Sewline pencil, I used a white water colour pencil for drawing on dark fabrics for embroidery and quilt work and never had any problems with it.

Comment

Good morning, I want to thank everyone for replying to my marking question. I have been given many good ideas, and now I will see which choice will work the best. I'm trying to use "Around the Block" ruler from June template,(JT 708) and the cutout leaves a pretty thick chalk line, yet isn't big enough for the chaco (?) marker. Other than the marking issue, I'm really having fun hand quilting the project!Thanks again! Kathy in CA.

Comment

I had the same trouble trying to mark a Baptist fan that I could actually see and that didn't brush off or disappear before I could quilt it. I finally discovered that a blue water-soluble marking pen is just right. As I finish a section, I use a damp Q-Tip to erase the ink.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 118 users online. 0 members and 118 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X