Thread breaking when pulling knot through

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread breaking when pulling knot through

Hi,
    Here's a problem I sometimes have when I'm hand quilting. When I get to the end of the thread I make the knot and
    when I try to pull it through the thread breaks and I'm stuck with and end that has no knot. Do other quilters out
    there have this problem or a better question is, what am I doing wrong.

Yes, I have had that happen to me before. I then have to take out a few stitches until I get it long enough to make a new knot and try again. I have found if there is a seam in the way (inside) and I am ultimately trying to pull the knot through the seam, it will break easier. Also, trying to do it gently and slowly helps and if need be, "massage" the top of the quilt with your fingernail so the threads will separate and the knot will go through easier. I find sometimes there is just no helping it and the thread just breaks. Maybe because that part had more stress on it from being in the eye of the needle and the eye was sort of "sawing" on the thread there while quilting?

Anyone have any better suggestions? I could use the advice, too!

Kathy

Comment

i find that i get this happening when i use a long thread - which i often do just because i'm lazy and find rethreading the needle tedious :roll:

but if the thread is too long there is too much wear from the eye (as you just mentioned). the weak thread is probably not very healthy for the finished quilt either as this will be the point where there is damage first... :shock:

i once read that one should never use a thread longer than an arm's length and if i follow that rule - i never have any breakage

i now generally thread a whole spool of needles onto the spool in the morning or when i have good light and/or my eyes are fresh - that way i can just use one needle after the other - with only abt. the arm's length of thread - just pulling the thread through the bunch...
      works quite well :wink: :wink:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 33 users online. 0 members and 33 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
      X