[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Hand Quilting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think with that much majestic education, Rosemary deserves even more -- something like: Royal Highness Embroidress Extrordinaire!

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

Roxanne's thimble left a hole on the back of it for your fingernail. But yikes! they are expensive. Ther are probably other brands with similar style. I seem to remember Alex demoing a couple in her hand quilting series on the classrooms. Just looking on Roxanne's site they also have fingertip thimble pads that stick on.

Comment

I tried the stick on thimble pads years ago but they didn't stick well to my fingers. Since I don't do a lot of hand sewing I don't use a thimble. If my fingers get sore I just use a spot bandaid. I have tried the plastic finger cots. They work for awhile then my fingers get sweaty so I take them off. I've quilted queen sized quilts in my lap without thimbles or a frame. They just get in my way. But I'm not trying to quilt for show. I let a longarm quilter do that for me.

Comment

Anyone have any opinion on the Nimble thimble? - it's leather, has a slit for your nail to poke through and has a metal disc inside to stop the needle from poking skin.

Comment

I have tried the leather thimble but did not like it. I use a Roxanne Thimble and find it is perfect for me (a wonderful birthday gift). I think everyone is unique in what works best for them.

Comment

I just hand quilted a 16" piece for Ami's quilt auction in Houston - I forgot how much I LOVE it!!!! I am going to stat hand quilting small pieces - it makes me smile.....

Comment

I love my Tommie Lane silver thimble - gorgeous, plus VERY functional.

But I do my best quilting with my "quilting paddle," which is a flat piece of metal. My only complaint is that it easily slips out of my hand, and I wish it had a hole in it for a ribbon around my neck.

BethMI

Comment

Originally posted by Needleware
                  Anyone have any opinion on the Nimble thimble? - it's leather, has a slit for your nail to poke through and has a metal disc inside to stop the needle from poking skin.
                  I tried using one, but it seemed like the needle never wanted to land on the metal disc and the leather is so soft and thin that I kept poking myself with the needle's eye end.

Comment

Originally posted by ajclapp
                    I tried the stick on thimble pads years ago but they didn't stick well to my fingers. Since I don't do a lot of hand sewing I don't use a thimble. If my fingers get sore I just use a spot bandaid. I have tried the plastic finger cots. They work for awhile then my fingers get sweaty so I take them off. I've quilted queen sized quilts in my lap without thimbles or a frame. They just get in my way. But I'm not trying to quilt for show. I let a longarm quilter do that for me.
                    I use the stick on leather thimble pads - on my thumb with a thimble on my middle finger. When they don't stick very well any more, I cut a small piece of the double sided adhesive tabs my girls used to keep their strapless prom dresses up. You can get them at a bridal shop or probably anywhere they sell formal gowns. Maybe even at Joann's? When the leather side of the pad gets too smooth, I roughen it up with an emory board so I can grip the needle better to pull it. I get a lot more use out of them that way. Also, if I am taking a break but know I am coming right back to the quilt in a few minutes, I leave it stuck on my thumb instead of taking it on and off.

Kathy

Comment

I don't do a lot of hand quilting, but when I do I like to use an rubber office thimble, the type of thing bank tellers used to use when counting money (before money counting machines ). It offers some protection, but you can still feel what you're doing, obviously you can't push a needle hard or it will go through the rubber and into your finger. If you have long nails you could cut a slit in one side, they're cheap as chips so can be treated as "disposable".

Comment

I have tried "liquid Bandage" it took several applications to be effective but did OK

Comment

I bought some "liquid bandage" a number of years ago then forgot I had it so the package has never been opened. Thanks for reminding me. I will put it in my sewing room so it is more visible and try it next time I do hand quilting which probably won't be anytime soon.

Comment

There is a discussion going on right now on thimbles at Celebrate Hand Quilting. It's located at http://celebratehandquilting.blogspot.com/.

Comment

What a wonderful experience and such an enviable accomplishment! How about the Duchess of Thread?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 77 users online. 0 members and 77 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X