No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

What design would you use on this quilt?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What design would you use on this quilt?

Hi, I am a begining long arm quilter- what design(s) would work on this quilt?

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

I'm not a longarm quilter, but I sometimes take my large bed quilts and have them longarm quilted. I really like your top. It's very 'strong' (both, colours and pattern). I would be very careful not to 'overwhelm' this piece, and opt for simple lines that echo or follow the strong shapes.
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Because that top is so busy, your quilting really isn't going to show up much. I would just use a panto that gives you the amount of density you want the quilt to have. Definitely something with some curvy lines!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Okay....beginner here. I too have a busy quilt top and was searching the blog for ideas on how to go about quilting it and what color thread to use. I read this posting and saw your quilt top. I sure like the colors it's very nice and busy like mine. Can I get some suggestions from anyone out there on this. Margo you said something about Panto...not sure what that is. Is that the red X's you drew?
        Barb

Comment

'Panto' is an overall quilt design that does not follow the lines of piecing. I bet Margo can explain it better. I'm attaching two pictures. The first one shows a quilt I made and the second picture is a clos-up of the back, showing the panto design used (done here in the UK by the longarm ladies at The Bramble Patch).

From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Great photo explanation, Lorchen!

Barb a "panto" is short for pantograph. It is an all-over design that goes from one side of the quilt to the other (usually done on a long-arm quilting machine) without regard to the quilt's design. Here is a link with lots of panto designs for sale that will give you an idea of the possibilities. http://www.urbanelementz.com/shop/ca...ntinuous-line/

They are often used when a quilt has a very busy design where the quilting won't show much and will be more functional (to hold the quilt together) rather than the main focus of the quilt.

Comment

Google longarm quilting patterns. There are many great one's out there to choose from. Something will speak to you!
              Here are a few sites that I use.

http://www.columbiariverquilting.com/
              http://www.kmquiltingsupply.com/
              http://www.goldenthreads.com/

Barbara

Comment

Thanks everyone! I always appreciate the advice from the pros. All of your quilts are so beautiful!
                I wish I had a long arm so I can use some of these templates you recommend but I don't have the space for one, so instead I got the Bernina 830 which has a longer neck plus I have the Stitch Regulator foot (BSR). So I've been practicing on a few sample squares to get a feel for it and now I'm going to try stippling this quilt together. Wish me luck...LOL
                Thanks
                Barb

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 30 users online. 0 members and 30 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X