[vb_main_1]

Any Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Suggestions?

Has anyone ever gotten a crease in quilt fabric when they machine quilt? I've been working on a queen-size quilt and am at the finish line. I'd just quilted the last border when I noticed a fold (or crease) in the fabric - too much fabric. This happened only at one place in the quilt. The rest of the quilt and the backing is good. I would like to know if and how I can fix this before I put on the binding. I put a photo of this on my profile in personal photos. Thanks.

Sent you an e-mail.

Comment

Jan, I don't know what Ritzy suggested to you, but if it were mine, I would remove most of the stitching in the area I circled, then spray that area with starch and flatten the area with my fingers, let it air dry, then re-quilt. The starch should be able to take in that much fullness. If not, I would also try to steam block the fullness until it's flat enough to quilt. Hope that helps!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Jan, Like Margo suggested...it probably will work. But I also suggest you find one of your favorite movies, get a nice drink of ice water and find your most comfortable arm chair with good light. Then sit and enjoy the unstitching. That way it won't seem such a chore. You'll probably have it done by the end of the movie and ready to steam, starch and restitch. Good wishes. Cheers, BJ

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Ritzy, I did get your email; thanks. BJ, It probably will me music instead of a movie. I know what I will be doing this morning. Margo, the idea of using spray starch is new to me and a good one. Thank you. It seems like quilting - design, piecing, quilting - is a journey in obtaining perfection (or at least close to it). What a delightful journey it is. Margo, how did you get my photo onto this site? Couldn't figure that out.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Jan, to post photos in this forum is really easy! Below the text box to POST REPLY, click on the tab that says "Upload Attachment".
            From there you will "Choose File" (and open it), "Add the file" and finally "Place inline".

Hope that helps!

In order to draw (like the dark line I drew on yours) I just right clicked on your photo on your profile page and saved the image to "My Pictures" on my PC.
            From there I could double click on the image and open it in MS Paint to draw the line, then saved the image, and followed the instructions above. Fun!

Comment

Thanks Margo. I did use your suggestion on spray starch and ironing the fabric in the border. All I can say is WOW! What a difference. The crease came right out and the fabric laid smooth. And how easy it was to re-quilt I now wish I had used starch with the whole quilt. Thanks again.

Comment

Good for you, Jan! Yep! Starch is something that I have found can make a HUGE difference in a lot of situations! Luv it!

Comment

And if you ever have a crease that is resistant to the 'Margo Treatement', you could consider sewing the label over it.
                  From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

slip or ladder stitching might work too.
                    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

What a great idea about taking up the excess with starch. Thanks!
                      Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                      working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
                      Tired. 
                      Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                      Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 204 users online. 0 members and 204 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X