[vb_main_1]

Starting and stopping quilting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting and stopping quilting

Can I start with tiny stitches and not have to tie the threads in the back of the quilt??? Thanks Jan

Yes you can. Pull up the bobbin thread to the top at beginning and end and then you can just snip them off on top. Just start and end with very tiny stitches.

Comment

thanks, I will get quilting.

Comment

I took a class from Sue Nickels and the "tiny stitch in the beginning" method is what she taught. It is a much easier and less time consuming method.

Comment

I have done both - tiny stitches and pulling up the threads, tying them in a knot and burying them.

Yes, the tiny stitches method is faster, but I cannot figure out how to get the stitches tiny enough without making a "blob" of thread on the quilt.

So now I just settle myself down in front of the TV and spend and hour or 2 tying threads and using my easy-threading needle to bury them.

Or I do it as I go along. (Sometimes I lack the maturity to do this!)

BethMI

Comment

I tie and bury as I go. I like the look of not knowing where I started or stopped.

Maggie in E. Central Illinois

Comment

I like getting proficient with both... I generally tie and bury only when I'm using an unusual decorative thread or when I'm quilting something I think of as 'heirloom quality'. With some practice, five slow tiny stitches (not in the same hole - one or two yarns apart) is almost as unnoticable and this is what I normally do.

If I get a couple stitches in the same hole, or go too fast, that's where I can get an unsightly ball in the tiny stitches method.

And I generally don't tie and bury if I'm quilting in the ditch... And some slippery threads I worry about the tiny stitch method but they're harder to tie and bury too...

The two methods are just two tools in my toolbox that get used at different times for different things.

When I tie and bury, I do like the needles that you can 'pop' the thread in instead of threading the eye. Can't think of the name right now.

Comment

Were you thinking of self threading needles?

Comment

Yeah, self threading or easy threading. Now I've looked it up. John James Easy Threading are the ones I've used. They have a calyx eye. I think those are the only ones I've used - I don't know how different brands/styles compare to one another.

Comment

Self threading needles are the best for burying threads not only while machine quilting, but I also use them when I am doing machine applique.

I still prefer to knot the threads at the beginning and end, when I cannot start/stop the line of quilting along the edges to be bound.

Comment

Regarding pulling up the bobbin thread...I know how to pull it up at the beginning of the stitching line but I can't figure out how to do it at the end. I use a domestic machine for quilting and this bit of info would be very helpful. Thanx!

Comment

Sherry when you get to the place where you want to end your stitching, just take several tiny stitches to lock the end of the seam then raise your needle and slide that area of the quilt about 9" away from the needle. Use your left hand to hold the top thread to the left and slide the stopping point back to the needle.
                        Drop your needle down, then back up to bring the bobbin thread back up and holding both the top thread and the bobbin thread move the work about 5" from the needle.
                        You can now cut all the threads from the top, right above the last tiny stitch.

Reading all that makes it sound difficult. If you will watch Linda Taylor's long arm demo, it will make more sense! She does it several times in this video:

learn/classrooms/

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanx Margo! I'll try some more!

Comment

Does anyone else have a fix stitch? My Viking sapphire has it and when its on, the machine takes about 4 stitches in place. I use it in quilting and it's great for appliqué too.

So amazed to sign on today and see my One Block Wonder quit on the daily page. I just basted it finally and plan on quilting it soon.

Comment

Margo, thank you for the detailed explanation!! I have watched Linda's video as well as others, and I just couldn't see how they were bringing up the bobbin thread at the end. Can't wait to try it out!!

Kathy in CA

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 155 users online. 0 members and 155 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X