[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Patsy Thompson Video & Spray Basting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for responding about the smell, etc. when using the sprays. DH is a woodworker and whenever he's spraying or using any type of finishes, it instantly gives me a sore throat. I'm cautious about using any sprays. Thanks again. If I can get something set up outside, I'll give the spray baste a try.

JoAnne

Comment

Just a follow up since I first posted this topic. I just finished a project using Patsy Thompson's method of spray basting using 505 Basting Spray. It worked beautifully and saved tons of time pinning layers together. The spray held the layers together throughout the quilting process, no problems with fumes, no gumming up the needle, and the quilt was so much easier to move under the needle while quilting with no pins in the way. The only question remaining is how many projects I'll be able to get out of a can of spray. It's on the expensive side ($12.99 for a fairly small can at my local quilt shop), but considering the time savings and the ease of quilting, it's money well spent.

Thanks, Patsy. Your video made a big difference in my quilting life.

Comment

Originally posted by QuilterLynn
        Than I'm on my very first FMQ with my HQ16 sit-down right now and it's going well! Thank God! ha
        Lynn, how do you like your sit-down HQ16? I've been wondering about them.

Anne in Vancouver, Canada

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

This was a great thread with just the information I needed to try spray basting and hand quilting. I used 505 spray and Hobbs 80/20 batting on a pieced tablerunner.
          I basted right on my kitchen table (window open slightly and fan on) and wearing a Maxi-Mask.. I pressed both top and backing well, then placed backing wrong side up, placed batting over it and smoothed from center out to where I was happy, then peeled batt halfway back and sprayed batt, then pulled it gently into place and smoothed it out. Next I placed top right side up on top of batt, smoothed it into place, then peeled the top back and sprayed batt. Gently smoothed top down onto batt, smoothing from center out. Thank you so much for the excellent directions. I'm now going to find my hoop and start hand quilting, starting at center and doing a grid line to both
          top and bottom, then to each side. Then I will work in one quarter of the top at a time. Thank you both, annlp and MaryRinWI, for your detailed instructions.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Anne, I really like my HQ16 sit down. There is a Yahoo group just for us and if you are curious, check it out.

Comment

Thanks to the responses about spray basting, I decided to give it another try, after a few flops several years ago. I'm so excited!! Using the Sullivans brand, I took everything outside, laid a sheet on the deck, then the backing, sprayed, laid down the batting, then sprayed the batting, then placed the top on the sandwich. The top wasn't holding as well, so I sprayed the back of the top, then placed the top on the sandwich, and everything stayed together! Because I was going to be handling this quilt a lot during the quilting process, (I wasn't going to use my Grace GMQ frame this time), I also pressed the front and back as well. (That was an excellent tip)! The quilt is approximately 60 x 60, and I was able to do all the stitch in the ditch sewing, without any fabric moving around or getting loose.

Thanks everyone for sharing their tips, I'm very excited that I now have another option other than Sharon Shamber's method, which is excellent as well. For me, I think it depends upon the type of quilting that I'm doing, and how long it will take me to complete the project! For a long term quilting project, or maybe something that is very detailed in the actual quilting, I will probably still use Sharon's method.

Kathy in CA

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 26 users online. 0 members and 26 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X