[vb_main_1]

Frames for hand quilting?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frames for hand quilting?

Hi everyone - now that I have got a decent thimble sorted out I thought I would ask for other people's opinions on frames! I personally own pretty much every different one on the market (!) including hand held of different sizes/shapes, a round frame on a circular base that sits on the lap, one that you sit on, the tubular plastic one.... I find it very difficult to get on with any of them. Which frame do you use? I would like to master quilting using a frame, as quilting without seems like cheating and also I hate to be beaten by anything - I believe Jeana Kimball quilts without - but one of the problems of working without a frame is that it is difficult to get to the centre of a biggish quilt. Jacky

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

I have my mom's old quilt frame, a hoop on a stand, and a hoop for the lap. I can use any one of them but I enjoy quilting without a hoop so that is how I quilt. Do what you enjoy most.

Comment

Last week I was at Quilting in the Desert and took a class from Suzanne Marshall on quilting without a hoop. I had tried with a hoop but couldn't catch all of the back stitches. This method is so much easier and basically you do a running stitch moving the fabric with your left hand onto the needle. Judy in AZ

Comment

Judy - I think that is pretty much the way I quilt. One of the early shows on here has Suzanne Marshall on it and she demonstrates the way she works - think I'll stick with my way and give up on the hoops altogether!

Comment

I figured that a while back Jacky.

You can now go and buy some more thimbles, fabric and threads with the money you've saved!

Comment

I purchased one of those tubular frames 10 years ago and used it once for a queen sized quilt. I prefer safety pin basting over thread basting and was constantly having to move the safety pins out of the way so it wasn't an enjoyable experience. My eyesight was starting to change at that time too which didn't help. Since then I've done all of my hand quilting sitting on a sofa without a frame. But I don't hand quilt very often. In fact I've only done 2 queen sized quilts since then, the last one in 2003. All of these were wedding quilts for my kids. Now I only hand quilt an occasional small project. Love those longarm quilters!

Comment

I have found a really good longarm quilter not far from me and she does a brilliant job! Not having to crawl around on a floor layering up makes it so much easier and faster to have someone else do it. She isn't particularly expensive either and her work is excellent.

Comment

Hi there

Does anyone know which episode had Suzanne Marshall in it that demonstrated quilting without a hoop?

Comment

Aimee, it was 203.
                  jacky, I sort of quilted like that before and am trying to do it the way Suzanne does, but my arthritic middle finger won't bend very far, so I have to do my own version. She suggests practicing at least 20 minutes a day. My stitches on the back are awful so I will always be using a busy fabric on the back.
                  Judy in AZ

Comment

I watched that episode yesterday - Suzanne Marshall - it was really interesting. I think it is easy to get too stressed out about the stitches on the back of the quilt. A couple of years ago I went to a quilt show here, and watched a demonstration by Barbara Chainey - a well known quilter - I asked to see the back of the work. It didn't go down well! She said basically, that the back isn't that important and it is the front that counts. I try to keep that in mind, but I have to fight the perfectionist in me - it isn't healthy to get hung up on perfection.

Comment

I've always thought the back is important, too. Judy, I think the method of moving the fabric onto the needle for quilting is alot like the way Jinny Beyer hand pieces. I've changed my hand piecing to the way Jinny does it and it's WONDERFUL! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to hand piece much longer with arthritis setting in. I've always used a hoop for quilting and just prefer it that way, but I think quilters should just quilt the way that is most enjoyable. I think the "sandwich" just needs to be basted to death if you don't use a hoop.

Comment

Actually, Judy in Torrance, Suzanne does baste her quilts to death. All of her quilts are hand quilted. She sits on the floor, which I can't do any more. I have decided that from now on, my applique and hand quilting will be small quilts and bigger ones, if I ever finish them, will go to my quilter. I hate getting old. Arthritis is setting in and I can't sit for any length of time quilting or appliqueing without stiffening up. I have to get up and move around. I figure hand quilting and appliqueing will keep those fingers nimble. I dread the day I can't use them any more. Judy in AZ

Comment

For those of you who baste prior to hand quilting and don't want to use spray basting (my own preferred method),

Have you thought about sending your quilts out to a longarm quilter for basting? I have heard that it is very cheap, and if you have arthritis, it might be worth it - get rid of all the painful basting and move right on into the fun quilting!

Just a thought.

BethMI

Comment

Judymc - I use the Jinny Beyer method of hand piecing as well - I bought her book quite a while ago and find her method makes it really quick!

Comment

Yes, Jinny Beyer's hand piecing method IS quick--so much more than the method I first learned. I've also sent two quilts out to be basted by a longarmer. It cost me about $50.00 each, but it was really nice just to put the quilt in the frame. The only drawback was the 2 month wait! I could have basted several quilts in that time!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 70 users online. 0 members and 70 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X