[vb_main_1]

Lol here I am again with a question re quilting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol here I am again with a question re quilting

I took my quilt to the LQS and they were very helpful. She suggested I don't stitch in the ditch. She said she prefers to stitch 1/4" away from the pieces as it is easier. Also my fabric was too busy to show fancy quilting designs as it has sock monkeys floating on a pale background. She suggested that I do loops and hearts which should be easy for a beginner like moi. I am to put safety pins every 3 inches. THen she said I can roll it up when I'm not quilting. I can hide it behind the couch for the family's sake.

Question of the day: For my lone star center does stitching in the ditch around the diamonds look better than 1/4" away. I would have a lot of starts and stops to bury in the quilt if I stayed inside the diamond shapes. Is stitching in the ditch hard to do? I had trouble on my first quilt and there were some wobbly areas????Thanks, Jan

I like how you're pin basting the quilt. When I teach I don't recommend rolling up the quilt. This gets quite difficult to deal with. Paula Reid http://www.battsintheattic.com teaches fluffing and stuffing - I highly recommend this technique as it gives you much for freedom as you work around the quilt

For the Lone Star I would encourage you do stitch in the ditch, as a beginner I would do this with a walking foot if you have one...if not seriously consider getting one. If you can't get the walking foot now just go slowly around the diamonds and you'll be fine.

When you stop, stop needle down, reposition your hands then start quilting again. This will, to a large degree prevent stitching where you don't want to.

Teri
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Thank you Littleflower. I'll be very careful, jan
      Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Another excellent foot for stitching in the ditch is the edgestitch foot (Bernina #10). It has a guide or blade that you can align in the ditch and I've found that I can sew straighter by using it. The Bernina USA website has a video showing how to use it. I am sure this could be applied to any brand. http://www.berninausa.com/product_de...-i140-sUS.html

Comment

Thanks Montana Grandma, I will ask my sewing machine place if they have one for BabyLock. She was trying to sell a foot from Janome to my friend who has a Singer. They may be exchangeable. I don't know about Bernina feet. I need all the help I can get. Will let you know if I can find one I can use. jan

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 78 users online. 0 members and 78 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X