[vb_main_1]

best method of marking quilt and making designs

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

best method of marking quilt and making designs

How do you draft your own designs and make them symmetrical?Drawing freehand is hard. I'm thinking fold in half and trace the other side again on the opposite side. Like you do when making a heart. It still is hard to draw perfect designs.

I have a small light box. That would be the best way to mark my own designs that I have at my disposal. Since it is so small, I was thinking I could draw them on stiff paper and sew through the lines with a large needle. Then trace my markers over the holes to mark the quilt. What kind of paper is best, or are there better methods.

Thanks, Jan

Jan, in Ricky's method of making a pattern for his Rhapsody quilts he show how to fold the paper, make one part in #2 pencil, open and refold--then rub hard with a coin; you will see a faith tracing on the opposite side of the design; go over those markings with the same pencil then refold and do again until you have the whole thing reproduced. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you Ritzy. I just watched the newest episode of machine quilting with Joannie and decided to use a light thread and one that matches the background. I'll do the designs as you said and trace them on golden thread paper and pin them to the quilt. For my next quilt I will try the 100% wool batt from Hobbs. This time I bought Quilter's Dream cotton batting. Maybe I should look up Ricky's advice. Where is it? Thanks, Jan

Comment

It is in his book on making Rhapsody quilts but also in the short videos he was doing to show us how to make a Rhapsody quilt. When you first login it is the box to the right of Alex's school room.

Comment

If the fabric is light in color you could just place you design down, with fabric over it and trace with a pencil. It will wash out. You could reverse a pattern and put it on freezer paper, iron onto other side of fabric then trace with pencil on the right side. Good luck. Cheryl

Comment

Please be careful if you use a pencil to trace onto fabric. I have not found the secret for removing those marks and have a quilt that looks awful because of the pencil marks that seem impossible to remove.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 62 users online. 0 members and 62 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X