[vb_main_1]

/getting ready to quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

/getting ready to quilt

Should I iron the top and wet and block it, first? Then layer and baste it with pins. Then mark it and start with the outside or do I start in the center? It's a full size quilt.

This is my third quilt. I have stitch in the ditch to do in the center and a narrow inner border to do in the ditch. There's a little fancy free motion to do in the inner pieced part and It's scalloped on the outer border which I plan to do in free motion( that I need to draft and stencil). I want to finish it by Christmas. ( I wonder how many hours?? Lol! One border seems to be slightly longer so I'd better trim and correct that first. I also thought I should mark where the scallops should be, but not cut them until the quilting is finished. I should post a picture. Maybe I'll try now. Jan

generally I press to make sure all the seams are behaving, make sure its square, then mark for quilting, baste, quilt,bind, then wash and block. If you wash and block before quilting, odds are the quilting will throw it off.

But thats my way, and I'm sure the are at least half a dozen ways to do this. Its all in what you prefer.

Cheryl

Comment

Thanks, Cheryl. When you wash and block do you put it wet on the carpetted floor to dry?

Comment

I always iron both the quilt top and the backing. I draw out all my quilting pattern then I use T.pins to pin down my backing into the carpet taunt Always make sure it is 2-3 inches bigger on all four sides then the quilt top is.
        Then put the batting on smooth out any wrinkles then lay quilt top onto the batting. I start in the middle area always with pinning and I pin from middle out on all four sides every 3-4 inches.
        I always quilt from the center out to one side then middle to other side out. If you quilt in the ditch the complete quilt you can go back to any area to quilt other designs.
        When I'm quilting I have a empty coffee cup setting off to the side and I remove pins as I go along.
        Remember it is better to pin to much then not enough.
        I'm pinning one tommorrow it usually takes me 3-4 hours to pin a queen size. If your pins get dull use a bar of soap while your pinning rub the tip of the pins across the soap it helps.
        They do get alittle dull after awhile.
        Enjoy the quilting process have fun

Comment

I never block my quilt tops before quilting - I block my quilts afterward.

And the idea of spending 4 HOURS on my hands and knees or even at a table pin basting a quilt is not my idea of a good time! Plus, I hated all that stopping to remove the pins as I quilted. I did that twice and decided that I quilt for enjoyment, and this was definitely NOT IT!!!

I now spray baste all of my quilts and have had no problems whatsoever.

And I always use one of the big name quilt spray basting products. I have used several brands (including the Sulky brand) and don't find much difference. I would not spend the money on 505 because it is MUCH more expensive than the others. I currently am using Sullivan's with no problem. It is available at Joann's, I believe, and is much cheaper than the Sulky product. You can baste MANY quilts with a single can. I have occasionally (at most, once per quilt?) noticed my needle gumming up a bit, and so I just use a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol on the needle and continue on. It's not a big deal.

Also, I have had asthma for decades but still have had no problems with the spray basting. All those warnings about using it outside are garbage. (Where would you even baste a quilt outside, anyway? The driveway? NO THANKS!!) My kids complain that it stinks for 15 minutes or so after using it, but that dissipates quickly. If our Michigan weather allows, I leave the window open, but that's about it.

You do have to be careful not to overspray onto your carpeting, but I have learned to make my batting bigger than my backing so that I have that extra cushion, even when basting the backing. I also spray IN from the edge of the quilt. Once I did overspray, which apparently left some invisible glue on the carpeting. After about a year, I noticed a nice clean rectangular area on the carpet, bordered by a darker area. Apparently, the overspray had gradually attracted more dirt than usual. But the next time we had our carpeting cleaned, it came right out and never reappeared, so no permanent damage.

BethMI

Comment

Quilt University had a great discussion on the use of sprays. There actually was a study done on the different sprays. How effective they were and the effects on the quilt itself. You might want to read it. One of the sprays came out way ahead of the others.

Comment

Lately my quilts have been wall hangings and can pin and block onto my pressing surface. But for bed size, yes I use the carpet. I have to use a room that I can shut the cats out of and don't forget to vacuum or you'll end up with who knows what on the back. I have made a pressing board using the sharon schamber instructions using 3x5 board, thin batting and muslin. then on the back side i put felt. its extremely easy and it makes it easy to press yards of fabric and block.

Comment

I always block my quilts after all the quilting is done to I don't know what I was thinking! ops: The pinning is not much fun thats for sure but it is what best works for me.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 65 users online. 0 members and 65 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X