[vb_main_1]

Machine quilting blocks and borders

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine quilting blocks and borders

I have been quilting for a while but have never tried embroidering motifs in my squares and borders. I would like to embroider through all three layers. I would like to know if you need to hoop the squares or if the batting makes it firm enough to do this? Also, do you need to use stabilizer when embroidering these motifs?

Hi, I don't know if you are thinking of using an embroidery machine, if you are, then I hoop all three layers and no stabiliser is needed. If you embroider just the top, then you will need stabiliser. If you are doing it by hand, well! I would think you would need to do as above and use a hoop if just the top as it would wrinkle without. Hope that gives you some idea. Look at my profile for example of machine embroidered quilting.
    Best of luck
    Lynn

Comment

I agree with Lynn. When I used my embroidery machine to quilt a quilt, I hooped the quilt and didn't use stabilizer. I'll have to find the pictures of the quilt and get it on my profile.
      Frances in Austin where it rained today.

Comment

I have used my embroidery module on my machine and used both WSS and no stabliizer.

I used the WSS when I was doing some feathers, and I needed to align the next design with the first, this was the way it was taught in a class on Quilt University. The WSS wasn't because stablizer was needed to stablize the quilt, but rather, as something to sew some alignment lines onto, then place the quilt on those lines, so the next design would sew where it was supposed to.

I also just finished a quilt where I embroidered a quilt motif rotated around in each block, and used no stablizer. Since the quilting designs are just outlines, you really don't need the stablizer. I had already layered and basted this quilt together, before I decided on how I wanted to quilt it. So I just hooped all three layers in my hoop, and lined up the design where I wanted it to stitch out and it looked great.

Do some tests with your top fabric, batting and backing fabric, and see how it turns out, if you like it with or with out the stabilzier.

Diane in Colorado Springs

Comment

WSS???????
          Sorry, I know I will regret asking what this is, but here goes! ops:
          Lynn

Comment

I'm thinking water soluble stabilizer? I guess it would help if I could spell.

Comment

Yep, DOH!!!!!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 71 users online. 0 members and 71 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X