[vb_main_1]

Do's and Don't of Quilt Orientation

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do's and Don't of Quilt Orientation

I'm setting up the Grace Pro later today and will be using it, for now, with a standard throat machine.

If I want to quilt a single (twin) size, do I set it up on the frame with the long edge so less needs to be rolled into the throat or does it have to be the short edge? Is this something the quilt police would hammer me for or does it really not matter?

I know quite a bit would rest on the pattern I was quilting in relation to the block but let's just say that doesn't matter at this playing stage especially as there will probably only be about 4inches to work with anyway!!

I let you into a secret, Amo: Justin is constantly chasing away anybody who might be the quilt police.

Lorchen
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Amoret, that was an interesting question!! I have a system similar to your!! I think the next quilt I load onto it will be, sideways!! Thank YOU!!

Comment

I have known quilters to do one quilt both ways in order to do the borders the long way of the quilt frame. Just do what works best for the needs of the quilt design. Betty Ann in rainy Fl.

Comment

Having watched the free show last night, and a great one it was too, I now know what you mean Lorchen!!

I'm glad the thought helped Damaris!! It is a strange thing to think about but as I've only ever quilted the normal way on a machine I didn't know if it would be affected on a frame. I guess it's moved around all over the place when doing the normal thing!! :roll:

Betty Ann, if my borders had a direction, like cable for instance, doing the two different sides in pairs would make sense. I take it that it's safe to take the quilt off the frame and re mount it. I was wondering if this could be done if it became just too bulky under the throat, with a lot of care of course!!

Comment

Amo, Yahoo has a group for Grace frame owners. You should join that group and glean lots of great information from them. I have a Grace frame, but took it down as it was using too much left brain activity for me, squelching my right brain creativity.

Yes you can turn the quilt to work when your take up gets too bulky!

Maggie in E. Central Illinois

Comment

You're a Doll Maggie! That bit about turning was the only bit that was worrying me! Thanks for the reassurance.

I managed as far as opening one of the boxes yesterday so still working on it. :roll:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 78 users online. 0 members and 78 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X