[vb_main_1]

I can scream right now (An update)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can scream right now (An update)

Hi all, I have been lurking around this forum for a while but not posted anything. It takes me too long to draft my messages. This time is different; I need to vent and I need suggestions. DH lost his job a year ago (laid off). Thank God I was able to kept mine. I have supplemented our income with my quilting. DH found a job in CA that didn't work out becuse he got sick.

With all this on my back, I find quilting to be the one thing that relaxes me and keep me sane. I use a Bernina 817 that I got used. This is a very old machine (from 1970s) It worked great until last night. It started running very slowly and then stopped. I looked inside and everything looks OK, but when I try to sew I see sparks coming out from the back. I don't want to burn my house while I am selling it, so I stopped trying.

Does anyone have any suggestions as of what can be wrong? It is probably (and hopefuly) something minor that can be easily fixed, but the shop will charge me an arm and a leg to take care of it.

Thanks in advance,

Maria

There is an angel in this forum. After this post I received an e-mail from a real sweet woman offering me a sewing machine she was not using. We exchanged some information and the package arrived. I was amazed to see a Bernina Artista 630, barely used, with the BSR, bobbins, and everything that comes with it. The kind of machines I play with at stores and shows but always know there is no chance of me getting my own. This was the sweeatest gesture.

I was a believer before and she confirmed to me that there are angels in this world and they appear when you are least expecting.

I can not thank her enough!

Maria

You sound like one tough lady, my hat's off to you to find a way to take care of your family. It sounds like the machine definitely needs to go to the shop, but I'd suggest you talk with the technician or owner & explain the situation. You want to be a good customer now & in the future (thread, bobbins, attachments, or if it's a LQS, fabric & books), but you need some financial help now -- and you need your machine back fast! Everyone knows times are tough now, I'll bet they'll service & examine your machine for free or very little, in exchange for your becoming a regular customer & singing their praises all over town! Shop owners are very compassionate, give it a try & let us know how it goes! Kathy B.

Comment

my commiserations with your plight, I am in a similar position, job wise as I was made redundant last year and have only managed to do some tempory work so far. hOWEVER, I am lucky in having a machine to use which is still going strong, cross fingers. It is good advice about talking to your repairer, and I would definately send the machine in, the last thing you need right now is to set your House alight!!!!!!! So, safety first, sewing second.
      Good Luck
      Lynn in UK

Comment

I personally appreciate your courage for posting and venting, this is a great place to do that.

I am not familiar with your machine. However I think the first thing I would look at is the power cord to see if it is in good shape. Maybe something nicked it. I wish you the best of luck. Please post again to update the situation.

Comment

Maria,

Sorry to hear of your troubles, and that you're old reliable sewing machine is having a problem.

Best place I know to get some help is on the Yahoo Group, Bernina Thirtysomethings. It's for those of us who have the old, classic Berninas.

Lots of folks there are very knowledgeable about their machines, and there are even a few techs who post regularly. If you need a SM mechanic, then you can ask for a good reference for someone in your area. SM mechanics are definitely not all created equal.

Hope this helps you,

Sue

Comment

Wow, Maria! Congratulations on your new machine...and kudos to your "quilting angel" who sent it to you. What a wonderful, generous gift.

We all look forward to seeing your new creations!!

Comment

Wow! What a wonderful end to a vexing story!

God is Good! All the Time!

Comment

Wow!!! You are truly blessed and will get many hours of pleasure from that machine! I agree with Lynn - God is good all the time!

Comment

Maria, wonderful news! Thanks to your angel, and wishing you many happy & productive hours of creation! Glad you let us know how it turned out! Kathy B.

Comment

I will never stop imaging the unimaginable generosity of quilters. Good luck with all your quilting projects. Thank you for sharing your story with all of us. Thank you to the generous person who listened and acted.

Comment

I'd venture a guess that maybe your motor brushes are shot. That in itself is not an expensive repair, but I kept on sewing one time when mine were bad--machine just kept getting slower and more temperamental--and ended up replacing the armature in the motor, not so inexpensive!

Comment

Angels really do walk this earth! Yours happens to also be a quilter. Bless her for all of us.
                        eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                        Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 58 users online. 0 members and 58 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X