[vb_main_1]

question about using Golden Threads paper

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about using Golden Threads paper

For the last quilt I made, I had to quilt 120 8" blocks. I was considering using Golden Threads but had a hard time attaching the paper to the blocks - with so much bulk of the quilt, the paper kept wrinkling, ripping off its pins, etc.
    What is the best way to use Golden Threads with a large quilt?
    Thanks.

did you try to pin the paper to the whole quilt? I've never had a problem just pinning it to the block I'm working on, then pinning a new bit once that's done.

Comment

Can you use basting spray? I've never used that paper, but I think that would be what I would do, especially for my edge to edge quilting on my frame.

Comment

Whenever I've used something like Golden Threads I've just pinned on maybe two blocks at at time.

Teri
        Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

I've applied this with basting spray... it held it down better than just pinning. I agree with Teri, pinning (or spray-basting) it to just a couple blocks at a time is easier. The more you handle it, the more it wrinkles and starts peeling off. (if using a frame quilting machine, this probably wouldn't be an issue).

The main problem I had with the Golden Threads paper is that tiny bits of it end up stuck under your stitches after you tear it away. I tried washing the quilt, but this didn't get rid of the bits, so I picked them out with tweezers while watching TV. Depending on your fabric color/pattern, these bits might not be noticeable and could safely be ignored.

I tried once using a water-soluble embroidery stablizer for this purpose, but it was too stretchy and kept rucking up under the presser foot. I wonder if one of the water-soluble foundation papers would work for quilting designs. Has anyone tried this?
          Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Thanks for the good advice. I just seemed to have a devil of a time keeping ONE piece of the paper from getting scrunched up as I quilted.
            Ordinarily the thought of basting spray would appeal to me but the last time I used the spray I did not like to way it affected the performance of my needle. Even a very thin layer of good spray caused the needle to catch while quilting. It was so bad, I had to redo the quilt (it was small, not to worry).
            Basically, next time I will decide what I am going to do before the quilt is constructed and mark the top before pin basting. I have shied away from that in the past because I am eager to get the sandwich together yet can't make up my mind until the quilt is actually under the needle how I'm going to do the quilting.

Comment

This is a very belated reply...but I wonder how it would work if, instead of pinning the Golden Threads paper to the quilt, you instead basted it on using water-soluble thread. I haven't tried this, but I think it would work well.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 41 users online. 0 members and 41 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X