[vb_main_1]

What do I do with the thread ends?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I do with the thread ends?

I have been quilting for 8 years, but realizing that I don't know the best technique for the loose threads (either the ones that I start with, or the ones that I end with) from the machine quilting on my quilts. I generally leave 4+ inches on the tails, bring them to the back of the quilt and then tie them in a knot to hold them........ but I am not sure if that is the best thing to do since the knots to show (especially when the thread is a different color than the backing).

Any advice on better methods for securing the threads?

Thanks so much!

Mary Kay

Bury 'em like when you're hand quilting?

Comment

On one of the shows, Ricky showed us how to get rid of all those threads while quilting. Can't remember which one, but I know it helped me keep the back of the quilt looking great. Jan

Comment

Mary Kay, you might want to take a look at Sharon Schamber's video about TYING AND HIDING THREAD KNOTS in the FREE AREA of her web site:

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/fre...ots/index.html

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

The easiest method is to take 1/4" or so of very small stitches at the beginning and ending of your stitching line. These won't pull out in average use & washing. The slippery new polyester threads might not hold as well as regular cotton.

For a nicer finish, make a small knot of the two loose ends (on top of the quilt), then bury the knot & loose ends inside the quilt. When I do this, I use one of those "self-threading" needles -- you don't need to get your threads through the eye, just pop them in thru the little slot.

I've been told that burying thread ends is the way to go if you're entering competitions; but, I've seen blue ribbons on quilts that used the tiny-stitching method, too.

Comment

I have to admit that in hand quilting I do the tiny stitch at the end of the thread but I have started doing it on the back and not the front. When I do the knot at bury it I don't get the knot close enough to the last stitch and the last stitch is loose. I need patience and practice. I did watch and do Sharon Schamber's method on the machine stitching I did on my last quilt. It worked great.

Comment

Thanks, All! Great advice! Mary Kay

Comment

Leafy - I have heard of the self-threading needles. But have not seen them at the LQS. What brand should I be looking for? Thanks!

Comment

The truth be told, I've never tried these, but this brand was recommended by a vendor at a booth in Houston. They are Dritz brand and should be relatively easy to find.

Comment

Thanks, Margo! I will look for them at JoAnn's! Hope you had a great Christmas! Mary Kay

Comment

Mary Kay -- Another thing that works well is to use a needle threader with a large eye needle. I use these all the time when working with thread or yarn. You can also get these are Joanns. Deb

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd11074

Comment

I seem to remember that Ricky showed a method where you can get the underneath thread to the top (or other way round) in order to tie together and then bury. Does anybody remember where I saw that? thanks

Comment

Mary Kay -- a belated reply -- if you haven't found the self-threading needles yet, I got mine at the hardware store, of all places -- Ace Hardware.

I rather think they were Singer brand, but, in any event, they were discovered hanging in a small display of assorted basic sewing notions.

And yes, you want both the top and bottom threads involved -- bring both to the top of the quilt (or bottom, if you prefer) before knotting & burying. Knotting them together ensures the knot's right up against the fabric, so your last stitch won't loosen.

If you've never done this before -- to bring up the bottom thread, pull gently on the top thread. The bottom thread should appear as a little loop. Catch this with a pin or needle, and pull it up. Don't cut the threads too short to knot!

Comment

I am about to jump off into my next quilting experience, so all of this advice is VERY APPRECIATED!!! Thank you, All! Mary Kay

Comment

Mary Kay, you also might find this video helpful. She's working on a long-arm machine, but the principle is the same for burying any knots.

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/fre...ots/index.html

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 37 users online. 0 members and 37 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X