[vb_main_1]

machine quilting a silk quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

machine quilting a silk quilt

Any advice? silk top, silk batting, silk backing. Needle size? Tension? will be quilting on Bernina 440

The most important thing with silk is to make sure it's well basted so it doesn't slip around too much. I used spray baste (love this stuff!) with wool batting and have not had a gunk up problem at all. I recommend changing the needle a bit more frequently as the silk does seem to cause more wear on the needle than cottons or wool. I'm using Superior Glitter on top and a 30 weight cotton on the bottom and it's going great.

Happy Quilting!

Teri
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Thanks so much......here goes!
      Teri

Comment

One more thing, I tried some silk thread. Oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I know why Diane Gaudinski quilts with this. Yummy. The color, texture and sheen match the quilt beautifully!

Teri
        Teri

Comment

Terri - what weight silk thread do you use?

BethMI

Comment

On the spool it says 23 dtex which translates to about a 50 weight thread. I searched for Kinkame silk thread and found a link to this site http://www.thesewphisticatedstitcher.com/ki10sith.html which proved helpful.

Superiors' site has a great page for learning about the "tex" thread system that is being used to help us determine thread weight.

Teri
            Teri

Comment

How many spools would it take to quilt a quilt? It seems a bit expensive.

Pat in Rockport, TX
              Teri

Comment

I don't honestly know. I picked up two spools of this just for one piece and it's an accent on the piece (less than 25 x 25). Diane Gaudynski would be great for answering that question, from what I understand she quilts exclusively with silk thread. Expensive yes, worth it, depends on what the quilt will be used for.

Teri
                Teri

Comment

I use 100 weight silk thread and a Microtex size 60/8 needle for machine quilting on my home sewing machine. I quilt with 100 weight silk thread almost exclusively now; it looks so beautiful I can't bear to use cotton. The 100 weight thread comes in 1000 yard spools which are a bit more economical than the 200 yard spools, especially if you are working on a big quilt. How much thread a quilt take depends ... on the size of the quilt and density of the quilting....

I'm not usually able to measure, but I recently quilted an 18" square class sample, densely, with silk thread in the needle; I estimate it took ~ 100-150 yards of 100 weight silk thread (half, or a little more, of a small spool).

I recently posted photos of 2 small quilts, they were both quilted with silk thread.

Diane
                  (also a student of Diane Gaudynski's)
                  Teri

Comment

Your quilts are gorgeous! What kind of machine do you use? Do you have a stitch regulator? Do you mark the quilting or do freehand?

Pat in Rockport, TX who is very impressed.
                    Teri

Comment

WOW!Look out Diane,here comes Diane!I love the concentric circles in "Not Quite Centered." Julie

Comment

Diane, I'm so glad to have a chance to tell you that when you posted your quilts in the gallery recently, it took my breath away! Your machine quilting is exquisite. And yes I'm listening closely to what you are going to answer to these other questions.

Comment

Hello,

I'll start from the last question first.

I mark part of my quilts, but not all. I mark the complex motifs (celtic knots for example) feather spines (usually), and grids used for background fills. After the spine is marked, I love doing feathers freehand, but it took me years to work up to this - I started out marking all of the feathers on my quilts.

I do not use a stitch regulator; and I quilt on a Juki TL98E - (its the older one). I do love my Juki!

Thanks for everyone's kind words.

Diane

Comment

Diane, your quilt is absolutely gorgeous, but when you realize that it is only 25" square it just boggles the mind! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 23 users online. 0 members and 23 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X