[vb_main_1]

questions about quilting, not free motion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

questions about quilting, not free motion

I have quilted a couple small pillows and wall hangings, but this is the first quilt top I have tried to quilt. I am starting off with just quilting in the ditch and then will add a design to the blocks. I just stitched my first row in the ditch. I am stitching on the low side as suggested. I practiced on sample sandwich first and it looked fine. I noticed on the back of my quilt top that the stitches really get tight as they come to seam and then loosen back up then get tight again at next seam. It looks ok, but not like what I have seen at shows when I peeked at backs. I am not making this for a judge, just for me, but I would like to learn to do it right since one day I may make one to be judged. I am using the walking foot. Should I make the basic length longer, or what? The tension seems fine as the thread looks good front and back, just that the stitches get smaller. Also, the book said to take a few stitches in place to lock the beginning and end stitches and they look a bit funny on the back too, they stand up slightly and it just does not look right. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sandi in hot FL

Sounds like the weight of the quilt is tugging on the thread causing the unevenness of the stitches. Make sure the area of the quilt that you're quilting is fairly loose and readjust after each block. I'd also try changing the needle and re-threading the machine.

I've been known, after years, to take out the quilting because I'm not happy with it. Usually what happens in the mean time is that I've learned a lot, I'm invested enough in the quilt and it's important enough to me on that particular piece to take it out.

I'd encourage you to let your seam ripper be a really good friend here take out the quilting and do it over. Consider this first bit practice and learning. It may not be going for judging in a show, however doing good work is just doing good work. The quilts we do for ourselves are just as important as the ones we do for others.

My quilts are certainly NOT perfect, I make a ton of mistakes. My seam ripper and stiletto are my best friends in quilting. Along with a few other essential tools...

Happy quilting!
    Teri
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

With very little time, I'm normally the one who goes for all the short cuts in order to get anything done, but I'm still starting and finishing every row of quilting with fairly long pieces of thread. I then thread the top one through to the back, make a simple knot and bury both threads in the wadding. You can't see them, there are no bumps and it lasts forever. I often do this sort of thing whilst watching something mildly interesting on tv.

No idea what you are doing wrong so that the stitch length varies. Have you got a quilter living in your area who could watch you and work out with you what's going on? One time my stitches got very small until I noticed that I had put my foot on the quilt so it couldn't move through the machine (that's life!).

I actually keep (and use) those of my early quilts that would easily make it into any 'Top 10 Worst Quilts' competition. They are very comfy, and warm, and much loved. I'd never let a seam ripper get anywhere near them. Those babies have character - lots of character. I'm not perfect, so I don't expect my quilts to be. That doesn't mean that I don't try and produce pretty decent pieces these days where everything meets where it should, and that hang flat when exhibited.

Lorchen
      From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Since your stitches get smaller as you approach a seam, I think that perhaps the thicker fabric there is resisting the presser foot. I would try lowering the pressure on my presser foot first to see if it makes a difference.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

Originally posted by pknord
          Since your stitches get smaller as you approach a seam, I think that perhaps the thicker fabric there is resisting the presser foot. I would try lowering the pressure on my presser foot first to see if it makes a difference.

Pat in Rockport, TX
          that would be my guess, too. and try slowing down a bit as you come to those seam areas.

Comment

If this is your first machine-quilted quilt, expect that it will not be perfect! Gosh, if it were that easy, it would scarcely be worthwhile to learn!

I would not rip out any thing that isn't just awful. Try some of the solutions offered here, take it to an local quilt shop and seek their advice, and then keep going. Your final quilting will be better than your initial quilting, and you will always look back on this quilt as the one you learned machine quilting on.

BethMI

Comment

Thanks so much for all the input. I will try the suggestions mentioned here and let you know how it goes. I will probably not have time til Sat. Work just interferes with quilting. My eyes are usually too tired to do much in the evening. I am also trying to rearrange the area where my sewing machine is so there will be less drag on the quilt as I try to quilt it. Thanks again! Sandi in hot hot FL.

Comment

I'm doing some sort of straight-line quilting right now, only with wavy lines, and I have my treadle set up next to another one that provides support on the left side, and have one of my Singer "card tables" set up behind the treadle for more support of the quilt. If you have some card tables, or can set up next to your dining room table, that will be very helpful.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

Just one more thing to add, but then I'm probably the only one who did this when new to machine quilting,... Check that you have installed your walking foot correctly. When I began quilting I did it right the first time, but at some point I had taken the foot off, and when I put it back on I didn't get the little forks over the screw and just never noticed. I couldn't understand why everyone thought a walking foot was the best thing since sliced bread! ops:

Comment

You are not alone. I did that too, much to the amusement of my quilting friends who have been churning out super quilts since Doomsday.

Lorchen

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 130 users online. 0 members and 130 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X