[vb_main_1]

Question...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question...

I know this topic has been discussed but did a search and couldn't find what I needed, so ...What's a good brand of basting spray? I'm making myself learn how to machine quilt. So far so good, but the basting is a problem. Pins get in the way and thread basting gets caught up. So I need an alternative. I don't want to use an inferior product and gum up my needles. So gimme some brands folks! Pretty pretty please!!
    Sherry 8)

I use 505 and love it

Comment

I'll second that Ritzy. I've used the 505 on my linen hankie quilts and loved using it.... it worked great!

Carla

Comment

Thanx much!

Comment

I use 505 as well. Had a demo from one of the distributors spray lightly a couple of times to cover and don't pull the fabric too taut.

Enjoy!
          Teri
          Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Hi, Sherry, I was watching Sharon Schamber's video on quilting and right before she quilts a section, she clips the basting thread just in that area. Maybe that will help.

I use 505 but there is also an adhesive batting you can use from Hobbs.

Judy in AZ

Comment

I like the Sulky- it seems like the least toxic.

Sharon

Comment

Just a reminder, ladies, if you're going to use these products, please do so outdoors. If you use it indoors, please use a good respirator mask. If you can smell it, that stuff is going into your lungs.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

Well, I got myself some basting spray. Walmart didn't have 505 so I got the June Taylor brand. I had to use more than I thought I would. I used it in the kitchen with newspaper under everything. The vapors weren't very bad at all, but it was a small quilt. I zig-zagged around the edge of the top to kind of stablize the edges and just sort of went to town. There's a pic in my blog. I was kinda pleased with how it turned out.
                  Sherry in S MS, in my soon to be empty house. :?

Comment

You should be pleased Sherry. It turned out great.

Comment

Thanx Sandy! I've been watching Sharon Schamber's videos and that's who I wanna be when I grow up! :wink:
                      Sherry

Comment

ME too! Me too!

Comment

I'm really a newbie at machine quilting and I've been reading everything I can get my hands on. So much information is conflicting! I was taught to use the basting spray at my Bernina Class. Then I read that it can cause skipped stitches. Then I saw Diane Gaudinski's web site and she said she has stopped using it because it leaves residue on the needle and in the machine. Maybe it's the AMOUNT of spray that makes the difference? You all seem to have had success with it. Maybe I'll try it again.

Comment

I like 505 best. I have tried others, but found them less effective and more gummy to my machine. I always use with open windows or outside if possible. The fumes are the worst part I think, but more than made up for by the ease of quilting without pins!!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 123 users online. 0 members and 123 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X