No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Tread for Hand Quilting and Hand Piercing.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tread for Hand Quilting and Hand Piercing.

What kind of tread should I use for hand quilting and hand piercing? Can I use the weight 50 tread I use for my sewing machine?

You will probably get all sorts of different answers to this question. I use a glaze' finish hand quilting thread for a lot of my hand quilting. The thicker thread along with the finish helps keep the thread from shredding as you pull it through the fabric over and over. You can use regular 50 weight thread if you wish, I wouldn't want to go too much finer or the thread would not hold up. You may find that you want to use a wax or something on it ( I sometimes do if I am using something I am not sure about, but not all the time). Other than that though you really can use whatever you wish/works for you. I have known people to hand quilt with anything from embroidery floss to metallics - you just have to learn the ins and outs of the threads you use and how to deal with them. I do remember hearing some advice on hand quilting with metallics though - use a larger eye needle if you can and very short lengths to prevent breakage.

Comment

Mandy, thanks for the response. So it is okay to use weight 50 cotton thread? In that case, do I use double or single ply? It is good to know that I can use weight 50 thread....I still have quite a lot...I got a set...

Comment

Allison,
        You should use a single ply.
        Frances

Comment

I wouldn't use ordinary 50wt for hand quilting. Use that for your pieceing but use thread that is for hand quilting - there are several brands on the market. YLI Gutterman are two well known ones. the waxed thread is so much stonger than normal 50wt and is much easier to quilt with.

If you are putting the time and effort into hand quilting it is worth using the appropriate thread.

Comment

I agree. It looks nicer too.

Comment

Depends very much on the effect you want to achieve. If I want the stitches to blend in I often use a 50 weight thread, like Superior or YLI Soft Touch. But if I want the stitch to show, I almost always go for Valdani 35 weight.
              From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I love YLI hand quilting thread.

Comment

Thanks everyone! In Alex's handquilting classroom, she recommended using Superior's King Tut. She said that's her favorite. I called Superior and they told me that King Tut is made for machine quilting...though it can be used for hand quilting, but not the perfect one.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 313 users online. 0 members and 313 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X