No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Free Motion Quilting. Do you use a frame or not?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I so much appreciate all of your comments. I'm going to a quilting class in the morning here in Houston. I'll be thinking, thinking, working, and practicing.

Comment

I do free motion quilting on a janome long arm. I just finished a nine patch quilt top and I quilted the complete quilt in the ditch in both directions,then I decided I wanted more quilting design, all the pins were removed because it was all quilted in the ditch so this is always nice when you are quilting, I added loop de loops to each little block. Now doing it free hand each loop is not perfect,nothing was drawed out it is all free hand,this is the first time I temped a complete quilt with out a drawed out pattern, Its really is repetition and practice which takes time, I did a simple pattern and knowing each loop is not perfect but boy does the quilting look pretty good! LOL! "If you were to look at it with a fine tooth comb you would see the imperfections." I'll put up a photo later to show you this in my blog easy quilting of "loop de loops". With out a drawed out pattern I think you need to start out on easy designs.
      The binding I always do by complete machine. If you were to put one in a show you have to hand sew them because they look for perfection. I frown on this because there is no such thing as perfect, and besides I will never enter a show,I don't want to stress so much and take any of my enjoyment away. I'm my worst critic so close enough makes me very happy. I should have done this or I should have done that,even with this quilt! LOL, each quilt I make its the same tune, Though I'm happy.
      Loop de Loops,Kathy

Comment

What is a Janome long-arm? I didn't know they made one. I have the 6600 which has a long-er arm .....

Comment

My Janome 1600 is a long arm sewing machine was made mainly for just quilting,some may piece thier quilts on this machine but I use mine only for quilting, it has a 16 inch neck for getting your quilts under the neck with out fighting the bulk.
          I use my janome 9500 embroidery machine for all my piecing. I like both of my janomes.
          I don't use a frame,My janome sets on a large desk stable for quilting.
          Long arm machines are ones that have the larger neck plates.

Comment

well, the day is not over and I've already learned something.

Add that on to everything I learned yesterday in my class with Mary Jo on machine quilting and it's been a great week! And it's only Tuesday!

Lynn

PS: Thanks. Education I love!

Comment

Originally posted by Katzzz
              My Janome 1600 is a long arm sewing machine was made mainly for just quilting,some may piece thier quilts on this machine but I use mine only for quilting, it has a 16 inch neck for getting your quilts under the neck with out fighting the bulk.
              Long arm machines are ones that have the larger neck plates.
              I thought the 1600 had a 9" throat, like the 6500/6600? I'd love a 16" Janome!

Lisa

Comment

Lisa

You are right its about 9 inches,don't know what I was thinking it Looks bigger then that. Has plenty of room for quilting king size quilts, I Like Janomes.
                I Love my Janome 1600_a long arm, and Janome 9500 embroidery.
                Both are great machines. Kathy

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 49 users online. 0 members and 49 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X