[vb_main_1]

A rethink on quilting design -

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A rethink on quilting design -

I have been working on a scrappy/applique small quilt - each block different and have been doing outline quilting mainly - I have since seen a link that someone posted on another topic which took me to a site which showed all over fan patterned quilting - right over the whole of everything, applique included. I am now thinking of undoing the outline quilting I have done and starting again with an all over fan pattern. Has anybody else done anything like this? I am wondering whether unpicking is going to leave marks that show, or would I be better persevering with what I have started? I think the fan quilting all over would be a much quicker option, and probably, more importantly, look better. Advice appreciated! :?

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

I think the overall fan design would be beautiful. I have unsewed enough quilting to know that the holes close up especially after being washed.

Comment

I think the overall fan design would be beautiful too. I just did a Sun Bonnet Sue quilt and drew my design right through the Sun Bonnet Sue cross stitching and the quilting turned out nice, it just adds to the Sun Bonnet Sue design. Let us know how it turns out for you.
      Kathy

Comment

I have started to unpick the outline quilting that I had done - husband thinks I am mad - and surprised to see that there is little evidence that it was ever there fortunately! Does anybody know of any links as to how to lay out fan shaped quilting and do I need to use a template? x :roll:

Comment

Jacky, The fan quilting sounds beautiful. I love curved designs over scrappy quilts.

Where are you standing in your profile picture? It looks like a lovely place.

Dana in Olive Branch, MS

Comment

Dana - I was standing outside a market in Marrakesh - we went for four days earlier this year - very interesting place, two different influences, French and Arab - the markets were so interesting. Many hand crafted items and very cheap to buy but too difficult to get them home to the UK - x

Comment

There are two ways I would say that you can approach putting the fan design on the quilt without marking the entire thing.

First practice on a separate mini quilt type of deal and just free motion for an hour or so until you have the look you would like. Then free motion the fans over the surface of the quilt as you would with any other quilt design.

Second draw the fan out on freezer paper say 3 or 4 times depending on the number of fans you need across the surface. Staple 8 sheets together with the drawn fan on top. With an empty needle go over the fan design fairly closely. Remove the staple and separate the pieces and place on the quilt surface where they would look best. Then quilt through them as though you're paper piecing. It will take a bit to tear the paper, however if you've stitched fairly closely with both the empty and full needle it should come off rather quickly.

Happy Quilting!
              Teri
              Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Did Joe Cunningham demonstrate some of this on the very first show? I think I've seen him do free-hand fans or maybe it was scallops, and maybe it was on Simply Quilts (?) Sorry I'm being vague, but maybe this will trigger someone's better memory!
                Florence
                Teri

Comment

Thanks for the tips chaps ! x
                  Teri

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 42 users online. 0 members and 42 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X